Anyone got Orca sub could try something?

ylop

Visit site
I’m toying with Orca (on my existing tablet). The routing function seems a really nice idea which claims to take into account your polar data, weather and the tides to work out optimal route (or optimal time). That would elevate it beyond Navionics for me BUT I tried a free trial before and wasn’t convinced it actually worked. I might have been using it wrong as I was just mucking about.

So is there anyone out there who has the paid version of the app that could try something for me?

Stick in a route from Crinan to say Tobermory. And then scroll through the tidal streams it predicts at Doris Mor or Cuan sound or somewhere like that where it’s likely to be significant. When I used it before I never saw a value about 0.5knots.

If it can’t give sensible data it’s probably more dangerous than not having it. I would always sanity check it anyway (or since I quite enjoy passage planning more likely use it to check / improve my plan) but it would be handy in a rush or if I’m occupied and someone less happy with the planning could chuck in an alternative destination to consider for lunch/night etc…

I tried their help feature but it’s a bot (which gave a sensible answer) but I don’t know if THEY actually know the west of Scotland tidal streams in that detail…. So anyone who knows?