Anyone for Malta??

Altair

Visit site
I met two boats in Sardinia in October both of whom had been turned away from Malta due to a chronic lack of space ashore and in the water. It would appear that you should not go there expecting a berth without a confirmed reservation.

<hr width=100% size=1>

DavidJ

home in Brum. S37 sold, was in Med Spain.
Visit site
We had the boat transported to S.France and then went across to Calvi (N.Corsica) about 100 miles and worked our way down the west side of Corsica which is spectacular. From Bonifacio (S.Corsica) we headed east ...Magellan straight to the Sardinian Emerald coast (Aga Khan country) which is amazing although avoid in August if you can because its really busy. Then turn around and head west along the top of Sardinia and slip round the corner to Alghero.
We hire a car sometimes to go inland which is beautiful.
So as you can tell I'm really positive about the place.
hope this helps
David

<hr width=100% size=1>

MedMan

teall.name
We left our boat in Malta for the winter two years ago. It is a great place to overwinter.

Have a look at my website - link below. You will find a long, detailed report on Malta there as well as my Passage reports for the year in question.

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.geocities.com/yachtretreat/>http://www.geocities.com/yachtretreat/</A>

davidbains

Visit site
I kept Aqua Blue in Campoloro Corsica for three winters and circumnavigated Sardinia
twice. I did like Alghero and Porto Conte nearby. You can easily visit Porto Cervo as
there is a place left to anchor. I did not like Cagliari though, the harbour is filthy and the
locals not that friendly in my experience. Anchorages are sparce on the east coast. The
west coast is more interesting and the islands to the southwest delightful. Particularly
Carloforte on San pietro island. Where you could winter quietly if staying aboard.

<hr width=100% size=1>

pegasos

Visit site
We have just spent the winter in Malta. In comment to one reply to you which suggested you 'make a confirmed reservation' Just try it. We arrived last August, credit card in hand, prepared to pay in advance and were told to come back 'towards the end of October' after the Middle Sea Race when berths may be freed up. Like many liveaboards we do not like uncertainty so we decided to winter in Mgarr harbour which was very quiet but also to exposed to anything from the east.

Sadly we did not really enjoy the place and were not alone in this respect. Our fellow voyagers included Americans, Australians, Kiwis and Scandinavians. The consensus was that we would not return! We found ourselves so frustrated that we left for Palma on 25 Feb - despite the fact that we were paid up until May! We would encourage people to visit the islands which are very interesting but a long term stay is not for us.

Our (very subjective) pros and cons are listed below:

Pro:
1. Cheap berths but, beware, there is a 30% surcharge for liveaboards

Con:
1. Total inflexibility in booking ahead
2. Everything else but berthing expensive - particularly Manoel Island Yard where they had no space throughout the winter and were extremely offhand
3. Msida and Lazarretto Creeks dirty and noisy.
4. Petty crime in Valletta (our friends 60ft Steel Boat burgled despite being in the care of an 'Agent')
5. No marina staff on the pontoons (if you leave to boat you must employ an agent)
6. Agents useless
7. Food awful
8. Flights out expensive
9. Many outlets do not accept credit cards

Good luck!

<hr width=100% size=1>