Anyone done the maths? F43 engine Bay

ian38_39

One of the list of jobs to do on our recent purchase is to sort out the engine bay fire extinguishers.

The current ones used to start with a H but if the gauges are to be believed all the gas has gone on holiday anyway.

I need to put in a clean agent gas to replace the old stuff but at the moment there are 4 bottles, which I believe is against current good practice and should be replaced with either one big one or a system. Would prefer the cheaper single but not sure how many m3 the bay works out to.

I am there the weekend so can work it out but was hoping to get them on order if anyone has already calculated the size.

Jurgen

If you have a fire in the engine bay bigger/more is better in my opinion though saying that we have 1 large extinguisher in our F43 engine bay.

To answer your question I would guesstimate between 4 and 5 m3

Elessar

One of the list of jobs to do on our recent purchase is to sort out the engine bay fire extinguishers.

The current ones used to start with a H but if the gauges are to be believed all the gas has gone on holiday anyway.

I need to put in a clean agent gas to replace the old stuff but at the moment there are 4 bottles, which I believe is against current good practice and should be replaced with either one big one or a system. Would prefer the cheaper single but not sure how many m3 the bay works out to.

I am there the weekend so can work it out but was hoping to get them on order if anyone has already calculated the size.

I have (because my boat is coded) but I can't remember the answer! Will send details of the solution (ie the size of the bottle) later.
1 large bottle with manual activation from outside the engine bay is what you want.

ian38_39

Thanks both,

Elessar, is the manual operation a requirement of coding? I was looking at it and thinking do I need it.

I have found two systems at around the same price which seem to cover the area, given it is no more than 5m3.

There is a single bottle FM200 auto system that at 5 kg does 5 m3 and a FE36 system, which appears similar but at 4 Kg does 6.8 m3. seems a no brainer, with the FE36 I get a smaller bottle to do an extra 1.8 m3, more has got to be better right?

Am I missing something?

superheat6k

If you google either then follow the link to Du Pont's website - it will give you chapter and verse on both. FM200 it states is for professional use only, which in my experience means it is more effective.

Elessar

Thanks both,

Elessar, is the manual operation a requirement of coding? I was looking at it and thinking do I need it.

I have found two systems at around the same price which seem to cover the area, given it is no more than 5m3.

There is a single bottle FM200 auto system that at 5 kg does 5 m3 and a FE36 system, which appears similar but at 4 Kg does 6.8 m3. seems a no brainer, with the FE36 I get a smaller bottle to do an extra 1.8 m3, more has got to be better right?

Am I missing something?

Ok I have a sea fire FD275M. 10.25 kg and Max volume protected 7.8 cu m. This was as specified by the surveyor.
As for the remote release, it doesn't add much cost and Id rather have it. Mine has a light too to say it is still pressurised. Green when the ignition is on.