Anybody Ventured Out Near Windsor Yet

Meps1983

Visit site
I went down to Boulters lock from racecourse marina, windsor yesterday. Im unsure about levels at Windsor Bridge but the entire stretch going upstream was noticeably high and rather testing conditions.

DrakesH

Visit site
It's still above normal levels but quite a bit lower today than it was yesterday. French Brothers were running trips today, but a bit cautiously (turning round in the middle of the river seemed to be the tricky point, at one stage the boats were coming in to moor backwards). A couple of small cruisers were on the move but going upstream was obviously a struggle. DW canoe race went through starting from 2am this morning, the paddlers portaged the bridge as the current underneath wasn't favourable (pull towards the weir is still pretty strong). On the other hand, our local C1 expert tested the water this afternoon & it wan't quite fast enough for his best tricks ;)

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_36f6.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_36f6.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 79

Scapegoat

Visit site
It's still above normal levels but quite a bit lower today than it was yesterday. French Brothers were running trips today, but a bit cautiously (turning round in the middle of the river seemed to be the tricky point, at one stage the boats were coming in to moor backwards). A couple of small cruisers were on the move but going upstream was obviously a struggle. DW canoe race went through starting from 2am this morning, the paddlers portaged the bridge as the current underneath wasn't favourable (pull towards the weir is still pretty strong). On the other hand, our local C1 expert tested the water this afternoon & it wan't quite fast enough for his best tricks ;)
Would be useful if Thames bridges had height gauges on them - like the broads bridges - to give a better indication of clearance in varying conditions E.g.

Attachments

• 2ECD558C-DF0A-4DE1-BEE0-97D9FB43A348.jpeg
    2ECD558C-DF0A-4DE1-BEE0-97D9FB43A348.jpeg
    145.7 KB · Views: 54

DrakesH

Visit site
Would be useful if Thames bridges had height gauges on them - like the broads bridges - to give a better indication of clearance in varying conditions E.g.
Ah, lovely part of the Broads, especially the bit above Wayford Bridge where powered boats can’t go 😂

there is actually a height gauge at Windsor Bridge, but it’s hidden in a tree so worse than useless (at least I *think* it’s still there, currently hidden by foliage so I can’t tell)

plumbob

Visit site
Level at Benson a bit high but the issue is the speed of the water. Swan only just able to make headway. Debris flying by.

Scapegoat

Visit site
there is actually a height gauge at Windsor Bridge, but it’s hidden in a tree so worse than useless (at least I *think* it’s still there, currently hidden by foliage so I can’t tell)
interesting- I wasn’t aware of that. Whereabouts on the bridge is it? Assuming it’s still there …

Gavin E

Visit site
Level at Benson a bit high but the issue is the speed of the water. Swan only just able to make headway. Debris flying by.
This is so interesting. We're half a mile above benson and the river is sedately gliding past as calm as you like. Just shows how the water changes from one bend to the next and that you need to be aware of the conditions across the board, not just the bit you can see.

DrakesH

Visit site
interesting- I wasn’t aware of that. Whereabouts on the bridge is it? Assuming it’s still there …
On the left as you go upstream - on a pole/structure in the river if I recall correctly rather than the bridge itself. Now very overgrown with a tree that didn't get removed when the rest of the bridge got its Platinum Jubilee haircut last year. I'll investigate further once it's safe to get the kayaks out again!

plumbob

Visit site
This is so interesting. We're half a mile above benson and the river is sedately gliding past as calm as you like. Just shows how the water changes from one bend to the next and that you need to be aware of the conditions across the board, not just the bit you can see.
We were beside the weir stream by the upstream lock island and it was really shifting. Fingers crossed when some of the sluices go back down the flow will decrease.

DrakesH

Visit site
There seems to have been some kind of subconscious group decision to get the boats out in Windsor… in the last hour there’s been a narrowboat, a tiny cruiser accompanied by Tamesis and the Fire & Rescue RIB (think that was just coincidence rather than the forces of the law being after them 😂), John Logie motorboats coming out of winter hibernation - and the Eton boys playing with, I mean learning to use, the safety boats.

Still officially on reds but it doesn’t feel like reds

Attachments

• 466A5DDA-7F44-49BF-855D-809B4265E1C7.jpeg
    466A5DDA-7F44-49BF-855D-809B4265E1C7.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 31

Meps1983

Visit site
It's definitely looking calmer than when I went out a couple of weeks back. Shame the red boards are still up! Was hoping to get out over the weekend (weather permitting) and it's just started raining here at home 🙈🙈

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
Yellow boards from Sonning to Boveney then red then below Romney lock yellow boards all the way.

Is this to do with the archimedes screw on the weir? I know it is a hungry weir and quite dangerous but maybe the generator alters the weir control protocols.

Meps1983

Visit site
Took the niece and nephews for a short trip down to the castle yesterday afternoon! River levels look pretty normal now although the flow is still faster than usual. The windsor cruise boats were out in force along with the pesky overcrowded hire boats weaving all over the shop. Boat season is back