Any Wedding present ideas for Sailing couple?

Talulah

Visit site
We're off to a wedding in a couple of weeks.
The happy couple (mid 30's) are giving up their high paid IT jobs and are sailing off to New Zealand on a 37ft boat they bought last year.
They are leaving this summer, heading South then West with a target of reaching their destination in September 2016.
The wedding list is full of nonsense, impractical stuff that you wouldn't want to take on a such a journey.

So any ideas for a must have practical wedding present for the boat?
The boat is reasonably well equipped so not looking for safety gear or other items of that ilk but something that would be useful none the less.

Gerry

www.gerryantics.blogspot.com
Set of long-nosed pliers, strange and something they probably won't think of needing but invaluable for getting at those wonderful hard to reach parts of a boat!

One of those waterproof rucksacks- invaluable for surf landings.

A hand operated coffee grinder and unbreakable( ie stainless) coffee press.

Salty John

www.saltyjohn.co.uk
A low cost option would be a flexible claw grabber for picking things out of the bilge or other difficult to reach areas - about £5 or so.
Another option would be a cable tie tension gun. They tension the tie and then cut off the end flush so that you don't get cuts all over the back of your hands when you're scrabbling around in your wiring. They range from £20 to £400 - you get what you pay for in terms of build-quality and functionality.
Fantastically useful items, but they do lack any hint of romance!

ronsurf

Visit site
A camera - a Go Pro clone
A tablet to document their travels and upload it to a blog page
Photos of all their friends, or movies of them doing silly things to take with them stored on a memory stick or something
Pilot books

ronsurf

Visit site
Pair of those personal walkie talkies. Can save a lot of shouting and mobile phone calls ashore.
Can never have enough torches.
Loads of those compression store bag things.

maby

Visit site
Some indication of your price bracket would be helpful!

My daughter-in-law gave me a Swiss Army Knife - Skipper version for my birthday and it has proved to be one of my most valued presents - an excellent combination of functions in an easy to carry package. If they are sailing long distance and don't already have one, a cheap sextant as a backup for all the electronics could be a good talking point and a potential life saver. A £50 plastic thing from Force4 may not be accurate enough for close-in navigation, but it would be good enough to make sure you hit an island if your satnav gives up the ghost halfway across the Pacific. You can go a lot more expensive on the sextant if you want.

Yngmar

Visit site
Hmm, let's see, from my own list of stuff I'd like but can't bring myself to spend my own money on (therefore making it ideal presents):

"action" camera
Floating keychain or carabiner reel version (ok, I just got myself the latter)
Bahco/Wera tools (they both make great stuff, but I tend to buy the cheap but adequate ones)
Nice red bag for the medical kit (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003JSLHMK)
Pressure cooker
Whistling kettle (for gas stove)
Folding bucket
Waterproof box (Otter box)

William_H

Visit site
How about submitting to them a list of ideas.
Pressure cooker
First aid Kit
Torch/flashlight. thiose cheap Chines ones are great.
Books
Spare HH GPS
Sailing gloves
Spare wet weathe gear
bosun's chair
Spare winch handle
Digital multimeter
Wiring lugs and crimpers
Sun shade for the tropics
Fender step
Perhaps some treat type food stuffs. Champaign/wine/ tinned plum pudding/ smoked oysters/ anchovies/ olives
Many of these items are useful as spares even though they have one. good luck to them on their voyage. Tell em to call in at Oz. olewill

PuffTheMagicDragon

Visit site
37ft is too small for a piano.

How about an umbrella?

Crusoe_385.jpg

Elessar

Visit site
We're off to a wedding in a couple of weeks.
The happy couple (mid 30's) are giving up their high paid IT jobs and are sailing off to New Zealand on a 37ft boat they bought last year.
They are leaving this summer, heading South then West with a target of reaching their destination in September 2016.
The wedding list is full of nonsense, impractical stuff that you wouldn't want to take on a such a journey.

So any ideas for a must have practical wedding present for the boat?
The boat is reasonably well equipped so not looking for safety gear or other items of that ilk but something that would be useful none the less.

when some round the world friends got married we got them a new anchor.
but it was on their (most suitable) wedding list which came with dire warnings about not buying regular land based gifts!