Any sewing experts out there?

asteven221

Visit site
Our windows got shredded in the recent high winds and need replaced. I am going to have a go myself at replacing them and have everything I need - or thought I did.

I was going to install the windows with double sided tape and then sew them in place, however after doing some research on Youtube etc... I am not sure if I should be using a special double sided tape (i.e. marine Basting Tape?) instead of the stuff I bought from
B & Q which looks fine to me - and strong.

The impression have from these videos is that the marine tape has expension properties which helps seal the stiches and also the tape will stay clear and not become coloured in sunlight. All that seems reasonable but any Basting tape I have seen all comes from the USA.

Does anybody have any canvas "glazing" experience and could perhaps advise me? Thanks for any assistance.

doug748

Visit site
I am certainly no expert but I have replaced windows on a sprayhood. I would use the tape you have, it may show later as a white strip but it will be on the inside. If you have 1" tape consider cutting it down. In my view any leaks through the seams of a sprayhood are not worth worrying about.
If the old windows are holding the cover together keep them at all costs and sew the new material through them. It is almost impossible to do a good job on a loose cover.
Any maker should sell you the window material, the heavy grade correct stuff is very expensive but lasts and will not crack or "yellow" easily.

Martin_J

Visit site
It worked for me!

As you well know - it is important to keep to the original window shape.

What I did when I replaced my window material (you would have to temporarily tape up what you have left of yours to start with) was to support all the fabric so that the window space (with original window material) was as flat as possible.

I then laid the new window material on top of the old and used a masking tape to mark around the outside edge of what will be the 'window'. This then gave me the shape of the original window marked on the new clear material.

It was then a case of cutting round the edge with a good few inches to spare, unpicking the original plastic and then putting the new cut plastic into place and holding around the whole join with more tape. I then sewed through fabric, tape and new window and the tape held it in place whilst sewing.

I had considered sewing through the original window and then removing that but thought that would introduce more possible leaks in that you would then be removing a layer of tough material from under the new stitching thus disturbing it. The tape was relatively easy to tear off without disturbing the new stitches.

It is important to use a UV proof thread and a needle to match the thread (to reduce leaks).

New professionally made ones would have the window sewn in and then be fitted to the coachroof around the lower edge.. but the result of my sewing was a clear window at low cost and no wrinkles at all.
BTW - Don't leave masking tape on the window for days... it causes the window material to have a fine misting (like the misting on opaque bathroom glass) - looks nice around the edge though if done neatly!

Ruffles

www.soulbury.demon.co.uk
It's called VENTURE tape.

It's very sticky. With a domestic machine it's best to avoid stitching through it as it tends to gum up the needle.

If there's some of the window left I suggest you sellotape it together to get the shape of the thing back. Then attach the new window inside it with the double sided tape. You can then carefully cut the old window out and stitch the new one in permanently.