Any Nauticat 44 owners?

andyball

Visit site
A pal (& I, but mainly his) has a Nauticat 44....he's ex-fishing trawler skipper, thinks it's wayyy too tender- eg it'll heel to 15 degrees in F7 with no sail at all. (alongside pontoon)

I've little ( err, none actually) experience of sail-boats, & neither has he, but does this sound normal for this boat?.

I realise he should learn to sail first, but having scared himself a few times, he's muttering about adding ballast to the keel.....I worry that he's trying to turn a sailer into a stable fishing boat.

Ta in advance

<hr width=100% size=1>

jhr

jamesrichardsonconsultants.co.uk
I'm not an owner but I know and admire them.

Built like a brick sh*thouse by Finns, with the Baltic in mind. Widely cruised, seaworthy and I've never heard of any Siltala-built yacht capsizing.

Let well alone.

<hr width=100% size=1>

sailbadthesinner

Visit site
put this way you would heel over ini a force seven
have you bought yourself lead shoes?
no?
thought so.

the nauticat 44 has a reputation as a capable sea boat. i would not go buggering around with it. its easier to avoid the f7s wherever possible. sounds like the crew will give up long before the boat.

<hr width=100% size=1><font color=red>I can't walk on water, but I do run on Guinness</font color=red>

Sybarite

Visit site
I find it difficult to believe that a F7 could induce a 15% heel in port to an 18 tonne boat..

<hr width=100% size=1>

upstream

Visit site
I spose if there was a lot of windage induced by the addition of radar, washing, behind mast reefing, pendants etc, you could get a bit of a list on, not to mention if there was any current effect

<hr width=100% size=1>

tome

www.google.co.uk
The Nauticat 44 has a large wheelhouse, is ketch rigged and subsequently has a lot of windage. Tell Erik not to worry.

<hr width=100% size=1>

andyball

Visit site
Thanks everyone....you've echoed my (uneducated) thoughts.

She's schooner rigged, in mast furling, radar etc etc....and the dial did show 15degrees,albeit briefly.

We've checked with nauticat (finished by them,no special build) & the keel does not appear to have been modified.

I think it's just Eirik's inexperience with sails, & his being used to very stable 20m work boats.....but I told him I'd ask you lot,so I did.

Thanks again

<hr width=100% size=1>

Birdseye

Visit site
got caught in a french marina 2 years running with a 7 / 8 broadside on to the visitors pontoon. all the monohulls heeled through that sort of angle - some burst fenders and did serious damage the first year.

as replies have said, the key factor is the top hamper. in old type designs where most of the hull is below the water line, and the topsides are low, there is less of a wind effect.lots of deck cabin, less below water and the effect is greater.

if it still concerns him, the answer (as increasingly used in small fishing boats) is a cat.

<hr width=100% size=1>