Any issues with having a marina as your address?

steve yates

Visit site
Those who live aboard in marinas, do you encounter any issues getting on the electoral roll?
credit report problems? any difficulty getting a mortgage or other finance? Registering with doctors etc?

I can imagine being a bit different from the norm could stump a lot of bureaucratic processes?

Tranona

Visit site
do a search on here and you will find regular threads on the subject.

Yes, it will cause you problems in the areas you mention. Many marinas will not permit you to use their address because they do not have permission for residential moorings although many will tolerate people living on their boats.

You need a permanent land based residential address for all the things you mention. Living outside the "system" makes it difficult to engage with what the system offers as effectively you are of no fixed abode. There are, however ways of circumventing some of the problems, but those who live in this way successfully are those who choose not to have access.

Visit site
I'd like to state at the outset that I'm no expert on this topic but have had cause to research the issue of GP registration of late. Based on what I've managed to uncover, it appears to me that GP's are routinely flouting the rules, either deliberately or through ignorance. Whilst I can understand the desire to identify and prove the address of an applicant, and the resultant difficulties that may be caused by accepting people according the regulations as they appear to me, that doesn't make their stance correct.

I'm adding some links which may assist you, and perhaps prompt some further research. I do wonder if there are any GP's on the forum who might be in a position to chip in.

NHS link: http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/AboutNHSservices/doctors/Pages/NHSGPs.aspx

Appropriate quote "You should not be refused registration or appointments because you don’t have a proof of address or personal identification at hand. It is not considered a reasonable ground to refuse registration. This also applies if you are an asylum seeker, refugee, a homeless patient or an overseas visitor, whether lawfully in the UK or not."

2nd NHS link (same message) http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/AboutN...uments/how-to-register-with-a-gp-homeless.pdf Whilst this is focussed on homeless people, the message is once the same.

Patient Registration
Standard Operating Principles for Primary
Medical Care (General Practice)
https://www.england.nhs.uk/commissioning/wp-content/uploads/sites/12/2015/11/pat-reg-sop-pmc-gp.pdf

BMA guidance document: https://www.bma.org.uk/advice/emplo...ovision/patient-registration-for-gp-practices

All these have the same direct message which seems quite clear cut to me.

Finally a directly boaty related one, which appears to directly confirm all of the above: http://kanda.boatingcommunity.org.u...ater-at-surgerys-address-following-complaint/

It certainly appears to me that GP's are disregarding the rules. Hope this helps in some way.

lukedh

Visit site
.....it appears to me that GP's are routinely flouting the rules, either deliberately or through ignorance.

No doubt about it.

In all cases be nice to them and then if they refuse make a call to Healthwatch:

"Healthwatch England is the national consumer champion in health and care. We have significant statutory powers to ensure the voice of the consumer is strengthened and heard by those who commission, deliver and regulate health and care services."

http://www.healthwatch.co.uk/

Generally a quick call to the surgery from your local Healthwatch yields immediate results. "We never said that".

Apparently voting can be sorted as well, locally they are trying to sign up all the rough sleepers for the "Brexit" election but I don't know how they are doing it.

Credit scoring could be difficult as for security reasons they probably look for a permanent address but you could try and build a good credit score using the marina address, that is if you can get one.

Otherwise Mr T is correct, it suits those who want an alternative lifestyle.

macd

Visit site
Interesting, WhiskeyTownRacer.

There's a parallel between the GP example you give and the conduct of banks. The FSA makes it abundantly clear that being NFA is no impediment to opening an account in the UK, whether for security or money-laundering reasons. Yet banks almost universally turn away such applications (often blaming FSA rules as they do so). The difference is that banks are rather less answerable than GPs.

Regarding Steve's question, most liveaboards (at least most British liveaboards outside the UK) deal with this issue by having a reliable person intercept their mail. To this end, it's both a kindness to them and a convenience to oneself to pare your affairs to the minimum, and above all to put as much of it as possible on-line.

Banking (with pre-existing accounts) is actually one of the simpler areas: just make sure you have an internet account. The only things actually mailed are new cards every few years. Most bills, and their payment, are also easily dealt with in the same way.

Some documents (usually relating to contracts) must by law be mailed as hard copies. But even with these you can usually arrange for a PDF equivalent to be sent. (That's how our boat insurance 'paperwork' arrives each year, for instance.)

Institutions of all sorts just don't like nomads, I'm afraid.
(I have not the slightest doubt that this amounts to illegal discrimination and denial of basic rights, but won't hold my breath in the hope of anyone testing it in law.)

Last edited:

Sandyman

Visit site
(I have not the slightest doubt that this amounts to illegal discrimination and denial of basic rights, but won't hold my breath in the hope of anyone testing it in law.)

That is something I have often wondered. My understanding of the EHR acts was one of the 1st statements was that it is illegal to discriminate against someone because of there chosen life style.
Have to agree with most that has been said. After so many years as a nomad it all becomes rather unimportant.

Tranona

Visit site
That is something I have often wondered. My understanding of the EHR acts was one of the 1st statements was that it is illegal to discriminate against someone because of there chosen life style.
Have to agree with most that has been said. After so many years as a nomad it all becomes rather unimportant.

Best vote for Jeremy, then as his manifesto pledges to be more sympathetic to those following a nomadic lifestyle, including the more structured groupings like Romanys. However you can only vote for him if you live in Islington, so worth checking if your local Labour candidate actually supports Jeremy's manifesto!

BTW interesting programme last night on travelling from Tangier to Timbuktu along the old trading routes. Part of the journey with a nomadic Berber family, but a conclusion that it would probably be the last generation that would live like that. Village life beckons, not least to give children an education.

macd

Visit site

A bit off-topic, but it raises an interesting possibility:
if one were prosecuted for a false declaration on some sort of official form (i.e. claiming you lived at a certain address when only the pal who fielded your mail did), would it be a defence to claim that you did so only because that was your only recourse since the institution had a policy of habitually breaking the (EHR) law?

Sandyman

Visit site
Best vote for Jeremy, then as his manifesto pledges to be more sympathetic to those following a nomadic lifestyle, including the more structured groupings like Romanys. However you can only vote for him if you live in Islington, so worth checking if your local Labour candidate actually supports Jeremy's manifesto!

BTW interesting programme last night on travelling from Tangier to Timbuktu along the old trading routes. Part of the journey with a nomadic Berber family, but a conclusion that it would probably be the last generation that would live like that. Village life beckons, not least to give children an education.
Our lifestyle is such that we dont need sympathy or input or advise from anyone. Not interested in the slightest in the opinion of some damn politician :) Probably did more in my life by the time I was 18 than most of those tossers will do in a lifetime :)
Should educate the kids on the road just as cruising families do.

Sandyman

Visit site
A bit off-topic, but it raises an interesting possibility:
if one were prosecuted for a false declaration on some sort of official form (i.e. claiming you lived at a certain address when only the pal who fielded your mail did), would it be a defence to claim that you did so only because that was your only recourse since the institution had a policy of habitually breaking the (EHR) law?

Seems to me a grey area in which no one wants to get involved. We will shortly be in a situation where we need to renew our passports. To do so we need a Uk address & postcode. As we don't have one then I suspect that technically we will be breaking the law, some law, by using my oppo's address, but what other option do we have ? Should we get caught I guess we will just have to scream Human Rights at them :)

nortada

Visit site
Having played the liveaboard game in both the UK and abroad for the last 17 years.

In a single sentence - don't go there. Yes you can usually successfully navigate your way through the system but there is always a gotcha lurking just around the corner [example TV Licenses - BBC iPlayer and tablets - passwords, just coming into force (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ ... weeks.html)].

Additionally, as personalities change so do official attitudes and rulings so what was acceptable yesterday may not still be so tomorrow.

Much easier to play the game and get a address at home and take every opportunity to reinforce it.

Last edited:

Tranona

Visit site
Our lifestyle is such that we dont need sympathy or input or advise from anyone. Not interested in the slightest in the opinion of some damn politician :) Probably did more in my life by the time I was 18 than most of those tossers will do in a lifetime :)
Should educate the kids on the road just as cruising families do.

Methinks you rather missed the point. Not sure you would fall into the category of nomads that Jeremy (or whichever pressure group is behind that policy). Not much representation of rich yachties living on their luxury yachts around the North London dinner tables where such manifesto promises originate!

Not much scope for Berber goatherds to educate their children to cope with 21st century living while wandering through the Atlas mountains.

Sandyman

Visit site
It was YOU who introduced Corbyn into this discussion, not me. Another one with his permanent serious head on :) As the YBW's answer to Mr Google I was surprised you did that :)

steve yates

Visit site
Thx all, I currently use my old address with a 12 month redirect on it. I could use my studio as a mailing address, but my partner and I are trying to do a property deal, for which I need to raise a mortgage, hence the question about a permament address. I suspect it will be simpler to use my friends address, he has an empty flat upstairs I use when I visit, in the short term, as its a do up and flip.

capnsensible

Visit site
I've only lived aboard for 18 years now, so I'm no expert. However, having a yacht as an address has never caused us a problem. For anything.

:encouragement:

[3889]

Visit site
I've only lived aboard for 18 years now, so I'm no expert. However, having a yacht as an address has never caused us a problem. For anything.

:encouragement:

Well, I've never lived aboard but discovered yesterday that Tesco won't deliver groceries to a marina.