Any idea where to charter a boat in Canada?

dog

Visit site
Never been boating there, but would have thought that Vancouver might be a good starting point. Loads of marinas and areas of sheltered water/islands there. If the weather turns bad for boating then theres always mountian biking, white water rafting, skiing, hiking, nice coffee bars, shopping........ the list is endless!!

SimonA

Visit site
I have never chartered a boat in Canada, but have been a few times and hired a motorhome.

For boating you have the choice of Lake Ontario or the West Coast. The scenery is far more spectacular on the West Coast, especially around Vancouver Island.

I have never seen any boats for charter other than small craft for day hire at Granville Island in Vancouver.

For cheap flights to Canada try Candian Affair.

Spacewaist

blog.mailasail.com
West Coast. Best area is Desolation Sound at N of Vancouver Island. Remote, trees, wildlife etc with the odd settlement and sanity. Less so but still very attractive are the San Juan Islands between Vancouver Island and the USA, essentially Seattle. Much more populated and bigger towns.

While I am a raggie, there's no point in sails in either area, cos your sheltered between the mainland and Vancouver Island so you'll spend your time motoring so you might as well get the real thing.

Where from? Well I have only chartered sail boats. Once from Desoltation Sound Yacht Charters in Comox, VI who were very good, nice clean boat etc etc the other was last year Sunsail in Vancouver who have a v. tired fleet of boats moved there when they get too worn to sell in the Carribbean. Id try Desolation Sound Charters and see if they can help.

deborahann

Visit site
http://www.twinanchors.com/vacation/houseboat-vacation/houseboat-vacation.php

well I did this lake some years ago, and it was great, there are lots of boat rental companies, this is just one that we saw. To moor you drive the houseboats at the bank, literally up the beach, & run off with a couple of ropes and tie to two trees or whatever. Its a huge, huge lake, very senic. A lot of the houseboats have an upstairs driving area and sun deck, and hot tubs.

qetoo

carlten.tripod.com
The waters between Vancouver Island and the mainland coast of British Columbia are an exptional cruising ground. Lots of destinations at both public and commercial marinas plus many great anchorages. My favorite is Desolation Sound and the waterfalls of Toba Inlet. But watch out for the winds in these inlets.

I have posted many pictures from my several cruises at:

http://carlten.tripod.com/index.html

I believe there are charter rentals in Comox, Lund, and Refuge Cove.
Try doing a GOOGLE search for Desolation Sound.

qetoo

carlten.tripod.com
Chartering from Vancouver, BC it is an easy cruise to Princess Louisa Inlet, considered by some to be the most beautiful place on earth. Midway is Pender Harbour, a good sheltered destination with fuel and supplies.

Vancouver to Pender Harbour is about a 50 nm cruise and Pender Harbour to Princess Louisa Inlet is about a 45 nm cruise (each way).

To enter Princess Louisa Inlet you must pass through Malibu Rapids and you need to calculate the slack water to do so safely.

BrendanS

Visit site
Canada/Alaska

You have 3 choices.
1) go around the outside by boat
You'll see wonderful scenery on the coasts. but not a lot of the real thing

2) Go by road. Hire an RV. These things are amazing. air conditioning, central heating (switch by bed in case it's chilly when you wake in morning), separate heads and shower, fridge, freezer, microwave, huge amounts of storage space etc etc, Gennie, and just about any convenience you'd want for a 2 week trip. Think 30' well equipped boat

You see most of occupied areas you want to visit. Never far away from civilisation, until your fuel tank is at last dregs in middle of nowhere.
Just look at a road map. Still much outdoors and tougher than most would experience. Many roads are gravel and under construction in summer, after winter 'heave'. You have to get used to road humps in middle of hundred mph dead straight roads, or simply up and down curvy ones

3) many places can only be accessed by plane. Often a float plane. The supplies are flown in with you. No roads for several hundreds of miles. If you want off the beaten track with no facilities, no regular supplies, This is for you

4) Boat. You'll be limited to a very small area in comparison to the size of the state/country.

Boating in canada or alaska would be fun, but not as much as exploring.

qetoo

carlten.tripod.com
Toba Inlet near Desolation Sound:
toba_waterfall.jpg

davita

Visit site
Boating in the Seattle and Vancouver area, in summer, has to offer some of the best cruising in the world. The southern end between Washington State and British Columbia is well habitated and safe, with many park moorages and small town marinas. Further north, in B.C., it becomes more isolated and more natural.
There are a number of charter operators in the area of Vancouver, Bellingham and Anacortes as a google search will show.
I live in Vancouver (ex Dundee and Surrey)and have boated these waters for some 15 years.
If anyone has a specific Q, I would be happy to assist.
David

mainshiptom

Visit site
Thanks to eveyone which have replied, It all looks great ! we will probably rent an rv for the duration and maybe a few days on twin anchor?

I can not wait, now we are boat less !

Tom