Any and all advice

OptimisticLoon

Visit site
Hi all. I'm so new I don't even own a boat yet. I need advice on what size I should look to get. I want to go round the coast, I will be permanent bur also have daughters who will visit for few days at a time.
I need to know rules on where I am allowed to anchor and do I have to pay everywhere. Solar vs wind or hydro turbine.
Any suggestions of useful books or website to read and learn. After a dreadful few years beating lymphoma but loosing my wife I need to escape London. I will have about £7000 to buy a small boat. Please shower me with info.

nortada

Visit site
Hi all. I'm so new I don't even own a boat yet. I need advice on what size I should look to get. I want to go round the coast, I will be permanent bur also have daughters who will visit for few days at a time.
I need to know rules on where I am allowed to anchor and do I have to pay everywhere. Solar vs wind or hydro turbine.
Any suggestions of useful books or website to read and learn. After a dreadful few years beating lymphoma but loosing my wife I need to escape London. I will have about £7000 to buy a small boat. Please shower me with info.

Hi,

Welcome to the Liveaboard Link.

Suggest you may get a better relevant response if you float your ideas and questions in Scuttlebutt or Practical Boat Owner Reader to Reader, which have a far larger readership. Additionally, the more detail you can provide (like, where do you plan to operate), power/sail, the more specific, useful answers you will get.

Finally, don’t rush into buying. It’s a buyers market so possibly get a bit of practical experience to establish what you want (and what you don’t).

Remember, buying a boat is the cheap bit, it’s subsequent ongoing overheads that present the real costs. will you be able to generate the funds required?

All that said; very best of luck with your dream and please let know how you get on.

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
Without getting into discussions about suitable boats, there are many considerations as mentioned above. Ownership costs have to be taken into account as they come in a large lump. Ballpark figures - A swing mooring can cost <£1k p.a. whereas a marina will be several thousand. If on a swing mooring and no water taxi, you'll need a dinghy and most likely an outboard, say £1k. Comprehensive insurance cost depends on value, say maybe £400 ish. It would be mad to buy first boat without a survey so, another £400 ish. As far as the boat is concerned, running/maintenance costs are roughly tied to size but more importantly, the state of the boat you buy. A new inboard engine £5k upwards, sails a few thousand etc. the list is endless.There are also annual haul-out costs for power washing the hull and antifouling. How's the budget looking now for purchasing a boat?

Sorry if this sounds rather negative but most people who haven't been around boats don't realise the true costs, which vary wildly depending on whether DIY or professional maintenance which can make a hell of a difference in cost.

OptimisticLoon

Visit site
Thanx for the swift replies. Right details.....
I've been looking at sail, 30ft (ish) I totally understand that buying the thing will just be the beginning of my spending. Especially at the beginning. I can actually spare about 12k. I first looked at 2 or 3k with money to do it up to my personal choice, then noticed people were spending 3 or 4k over the last couple of yrs on new sails, rigging, engine overhaul etc etc etc but still only asking round 6k. So I guess I'd be better off going that route and still have 5k for any extras I need.
I can put aside bout 3k pa, solely for the boat. Things like mooring fee etc I view as normal living costs as that will be my new rent. I will be round Cornwall at first with ambitious future ideas of the whole coast of England and Scotland. Then Ireland when I'm braver. And distant ideas of visiting my mum over on Portugal s Algarve. But majority of time on the SW coast and estuaries. Is there anywhere on a river/estuary that I can just chuck in the anchor and not pay a fee??
A long winded reply I apologise, but felt I owed it to thank for the rapid and helpful answers to my question. Now I'm off to the suggested forum. Thanx again guys.

OptimisticLoon

Visit site
Without getting into discussions about suitable boats, there are many considerations as mentioned above. Ownership costs have to be taken into account as they come in a large lump. Ballpark figures - A swing mooring can cost <£1k p.a. whereas a marina will be several thousand. If on a swing mooring and no water taxi, you'll need a dinghy and most likely an outboard, say £1k. Comprehensive insurance cost depends on value, say maybe £400 ish. It would be mad to buy first boat without a survey so, another £400 ish. As far as the boat is concerned, running/maintenance costs are roughly tied to size but more importantly, the state of the boat you buy. A new inboard engine £5k upwards, sails a few thousand etc. the list is endless.There are also annual haul-out costs for power washing the hull and antifouling. How's the budget looking now for purchasing a boat?

Sorry if this sounds rather negative but most people who haven't been around boats don't realise the true costs, which vary wildly depending on whether DIY or professional maintenance which can make a hell of a difference in cost.

Thanx for the swift replies. Right details.....
I've been looking at sail, 30ft (ish) I totally understand that buying the thing will just be the beginning of my spending. Especially at the beginning. I can actually spare about 12k. I first looked at 2 or 3k with money to do it up to my personal choice, then noticed people were spending 3 or 4k over the last couple of yrs on new sails, rigging, engine overhaul etc etc etc but still only asking round 6k. So I guess I'd be better off going that route and still have 5k for any extras I need.
I can put aside bout 3k pa, solely for the boat. Things like mooring fee etc I view as normal living costs as that will be my new rent. I will be round Cornwall at first with ambitious future ideas of the whole coast of England and Scotland. Then Ireland when I'm braver. And distant ideas of visiting my mum over on Portugal s Algarve. But majority of time on the SW coast and estuaries. Is there anywhere on a river/estuary that I can just chuck in the anchor and not pay a fee??
A long winded reply I apologise, but felt I owed it to thank for the rapid and helpful answers to my question. Now I'm off to the suggested forum. Thanx again guys.

Goldie

Visit site
But majority of time on the SW coast and estuaries. Is there anywhere on a river/estuary that I can just chuck in the anchor and not pay a fee??

I take it you’re talking about the S. coast of SW England? There aren’t so many options on the N. coasts of Devon and Cornwall. Yes, there are plenty of anchorages where you can lie FOC but they may not be where you need/want to be in terms of shoreside facilities. However, some river authorities don’t permit anchoring (e.g. Fowey) and some charge (e.g. Salcombe and Dartmouth). There are plenty of places on the Fal and the Helford which are free, but you’d be charged for anchoring off Falmouth town. There are options around Plymouth too but again, not necessarily convenient. A lot depends on how remote or self sufficient you’re able to be - would you need to get ashore for work for example? How long can you last without needing to fill water tanks? A good dinghy and outboard will be essential.