antifouling prop

Gezzer

Visit site
What are your experiences, is it best to antifoul the prop witha hard type, or just to polish and leave as is, I get quite a lot of fouling and I am about to fit a new prop so any advice and experience would be useful

Thanks.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Gordonmc

Visit site
Following forum advice I splathered my prop with lanolin. Melted the stuff in its (plastic) pot with a wave of a heat gun and then painted it on. Then smoothed over with the heat gun.

The boat has only been in the water three weeks or so, but there is no growth and its still shiny while a nearby anode has a beard.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Johnjo

Visit site
I also applied Lanolin to my prop after giving it a vigorous polish,
boats been in the water a month now, prop is spotless, which is more than I can say
for the bottom,
Which was painted with two coats of "Micron"

<hr width=100% size=1>

Gordonmc

Visit site
Catch a sheep. Shear same. Let sheep go. Boil up fleece for e few hours. Skim off the fatty gunk that comes up. That's lanolin.
Or...
Go to your local chemist. You may have to order it in as few chemists make up their own cosmetics these days, which is what it was primarily used for.
Anhydrous Lanolin is the generic name. Costs about £7 for a tub which will last forever.
I have a lot of galvanised fittings which I protect with lanolin, especially rigging screws as the stuff does not crack off like grease.
Another use is to use as a film on brassworkabove decks to stop tarnishing.
And your hands will be as soft as your face (as long as you are not allergic).

<hr width=100% size=1>

ccscott49

Visit site
Depends where you are, lanolin is fine in UK waters, or "Zebo" but not in the med, you will need to hard racing antifoul in the western med, may get away with it in the eastern, but why bother, I have always antifouled mine everywhere, apart from when I could get hold of Zebo (Black lead) in the UK. Lanolin might work in the meddy, but I dont want to risk a heavy/expensive lift to find out.

<hr width=100% size=1>

dickh

Visit site
For Lanolin try <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.baldwins.co.uk>http://www.baldwins.co.uk</A> and you'll find it not too expensive and cheaper than the chandlery. You can also try local Chemists but all my local ones denied all knowledge of it and said it was unobtainable!!

<hr width=100% size=1>dickh
I'd rather be sailing... :) /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Johnjo

Visit site
Went to one chemist and was told that they could no longer find a supplier.
second chemist said " yes but you will have to wait a couple of days "
told them about the first chemist, their thoughts were that they could not be bothered to order it!

<hr width=100% size=1>