Antifouling a rowing dinghy - advice needed please

paul.dlf

Visit site
Hi All,

I have a fibreglass rowing dinghy that I'm thinking of keeping afloat on a pontoon as a tender to my boat. The dinghy gelcoat is in good condition and not painted. It will be on the Hamble. My question is whether I need to use a conventional antifouling paint on the dinghy or are there alternatives which don't involve painting the bottom. Is there a clear coat that I could use (as used on outdrives)?

Thanks for your input.

Paul

Crazy-Diamond

Visit site
I have a grp dinghy that I keep on the pontoon next to the boat. I have antifouled it as it got very badly fouled (River Crouch, east coast). I used the left overs from the boat. It isn't perfect but it is much better than nothing. At least it is easy (and free) to lift it out and clean it!

Tranona

Visit site
Normal AF. Outdrives use Trilux which is for aluminium, but no need for that. You might also consider using Coppercoat which will not be roo expensive and last many years with just the occasional wash. Bit trickier to apply than annual paint, but worth it in the long run.

matt1

Visit site
I just used an undercoat and the normal antifoul I use every spring for the boat (tiger extra) the dinghy is at the Cabin Boatyard Hamble where it partially dries - annoyingly whilst the boat is really quite slimed up by now on its pile mooring, the dinghy is virtually slime free despite being launched at the same time!! Whether that’s the action of sitting on the mud for brief periods or maybe less salinity a bit further upstream I’ve no clue!