Anti fouling trim tabs

DavidJ

home in Brum. S37 sold, was in Med Spain.
Visit site
I've found International Trilux totally useless in the Med for my engines and trim tabs.
With previous boats (before I knew better!) I always painted my trim tabs with the hull antifoul and didn't have any problems. I'm tempted to go back to doing this again because the hull antifoul does work. I wouldn't risk the engines, but has anyone had any problem with the application of hull antifoul on trims.
I have anodes on the trims incidently.
David

<hr width=100% size=1>

Talbot

Visit site
I would expect that if you have a good epoxy paint job on the trim tabs, and then prime, and finally antifoul, there should be no problem at all.

<hr width=100% size=1>

tcm

Visit site
um, totally useless? has all the a/f come off? or are the trims covered in barnacles? You can paintem with any old stuff really. stainless steel, so even if covered in nothing they wd probably be ok, except the barnacles then get a really good grip on steel instead of on the paint. The self-eroding (i.e. it's a ripoff) paint should sortof clean itself but usually needs a dive around to clean up. you don't paint the anodes, but you knew that.

Before whacking the paint on, i just clean up a bit with a jetwash tho be careful cos it could rip through the grp, then clean barnacles off the props with hydrochloric acid which goes all sizzling and v satisfying.

It is ded quick to put on antifoul if you use a roller and a big stick on the roller. I did about 2+ coats in most places and then about 5 around the watrline so it can take a buit more washing down alongside to keep the waterline ok during the season, and the way to clean the watrline is a soft brush in a fairly vicious solution of viakal/household calcium cleaner.

The black is easily the best for slightly maintence free - boat looks fine regardless of of whether some crap on it or not.

Lat time, i got no1_moose to help get the shafts to a really really fine shine which makes underwater wiping them down a bit easier. Just sandpaper til you can turn all scratches one way and another, then finer sandpaper till you can turn the scratches one way and another, then finer and finer and you can see you face innem.

If you have a barnacles prob, then it's a good idea to shut engine primaries and aircon/gemny intakes else the buggers settle up the pipes.

Er just realisd you have stern drives mebbe ? Over winter i would liftem, put the strong (green) garden binliners onnem, tape/tie up and lower them. Not haddm, so not put paint on the legs.

That's enuf antifoul for me!

<hr width=100% size=1>

DavidJ

home in Brum. S37 sold, was in Med Spain.
Visit site
Just realised I've posted on the Livaboard not on Mobo, nevermine.
Thanks for replies.
I should have pointed out really that there are different types of antifoul for metal bits and GRP bits. So what I'm asking really is have there been any problems experienced for using GRP antifoul on trim tabs because it is so much more effective.
the problem is that there is huge barnacle build up on the International Trilux'ed metal parts and practically none on the GRP antifouled bits.
I'll repost this on MoBo.
ta David

<hr width=100% size=1>