Antenna for FM Stereo

Stemar

Visit site
I currently have very poor FM radio reception on Jazzcat with a small bipole windscreen antenna and built-in amp. The radio's a cheapy, which probably doesn't help, but I want to give it a chance with a decent antenna. Either that'll fix the problem, or it's time to spend more money than I really want on a proper (DAB?) radio.

Any thoughts or recommendations? Currently looking at something like this
rma826.jpg

at around 480mm and £17, but willing to spend a bit more - not the £100s I've seen for some - for better reception as signal strength in the Solent isn't always great/

Plum

Visit site
I currently have very poor FM radio reception on Jazzcat with a small bipole windscreen antenna and built-in amp. The radio's a cheapy, which probably doesn't help, but I want to give it a chance with a decent antenna. Either that'll fix the problem, or it's time to spend more money than I really want on a proper (DAB?) radio.

Any thoughts or recommendations? Currently looking at something like this

at around 480mm and £17, but willing to spend a bit more - not the £100s I've seen for some - for better reception as signal strength in the Solent isn't always great/
I guess it depends on were you are but I have just a 450mm length of electrical wire laid horizontal in the locker behind the radio and it works fine. No amp, just a cheapy 20 year old radio. Has worked for me between the Solent and Suffolk

www.solocoastalsailing.co.uk

William_H

Visit site
For best reception in difficult location height is the first requirement. So mast top or perhaps if there is a vhf com antenna already on top, mount on spreader. Antenna should be vertical and about 24 inches long. 1/4 wavelength at 100 megahertz. Any rod will do or even flexible wire but ideally with a ground plane connection to outside of 50 ohm coax cable to radio. Or you could go for an antenna probably much smaller with an amplifier built in. As said most people get away with a bit of wire hanging out of the back of the radio. But if this proves inadequate then you will have to do better. I am not sure a more expensive radio will give better range as most radios get to the best you can given the limitation of amplifier noise. Likewise an amplified antenna may not help much either. ol'will

Boathook

Visit site
I used some copper wire placed around the underside of my saloon seating. U shaped so all directions covered for reception. Same set up for my new stereo plus a dab aerial stuck on a window.