Antares 7.80 or Merry Fisher 755

ST840

Visit site
Having just sold my S28 I am looking at either of the title mentioned boats. I have no experience in either of them although I think they utilise the same hull?
Any reviews or experience of them would be greatly received !! Thanks in advance .
PS on a sea trial they seemed to be a lot more noises on the hill than my sealine, is this normal and have I just been spoilt with the S28 build quality?

Cbjroms

Visit site
If you do a search on the forum there was a really good thread a few weeks ago on Antares vs Merry Fisher and it explained the common manufacturing facility and difference in fit-outs. There were some excellent and knowledgeable comments which I found, when comparing the MF645 with the Antares, to be absolutely spot-on.

LadyJ

Visit site
Agree with comment re other threads. Great comments within these.
Re boats, completely down to personal taste with the layout. I looked at both and went with 755 due to factory fit bow thruster (wasn't available on the 7.80 in 2015 spec but may have changed) and the forward facing capability of the table seats.
Enjoy whatever you decide.
From my experience the noise in a wheel house is always more pronounced than an open boat but the benefits IMO compensate but there is a utilitarian style to these boats that you can't get away from. I did put carpets down that has dampened this but not to everyone's taste.

Mango

Visit site
I've just ordered an Antares 7.80. The merryfisher fisher 755 is no longer in production having been replaced by the 795 which was more expensive with less standard kit. I preferred to order a fully loaded antares than a basic merry fisher for my budget.

wipe_out

Visit site
I went from a 26ft sports cruiser to a MF 695 and yes, the sound of the water on the hull is far more noticeable because you are effectively sitting IN the boat rather than ON the boat.. Also I found that when the doors and windows are closed there is very little engine noise which means you hear the water.. Of course as mentioned there are lots of advantages to being IN the boat especially in the UK..

We were out a couple of weeks ago and there were a few boats going around Old Harry.. I guess the tide was running or something because the water was very choppy and messy.. There was an open Karnic in front of us and a sports cruiser to the side.. All of us were taking a lot of water over the bow.. The Karnic turned 180 degrees and got out of there after about 10 seconds.. The people in the sports cruiser were soaked and trying to shelter behind the screen.. We were nice a dry and kept moving through the rough stuff which calmed a bit after about half a mile.. Yes, the water banging on the hull was loud at times but other than that we were very comfortable..

ST840

Visit site
I went from a 26ft sports cruiser to a MF 695 and yes, the sound of the water on the hull is far more noticeable because you are effectively sitting IN the boat rather than ON the boat.. Also I found that when the doors and windows are closed there is very little engine noise which means you hear the water.. Of course as mentioned there are lots of advantages to being IN the boat especially in the UK..

We were out a couple of weeks ago and there were a few boats going around Old Harry.. I guess the tide was running or something because the water was very choppy and messy.. There was an open Karnic in front of us and a sports cruiser to the side.. All of us were taking a lot of water over the bow.. The Karnic turned 180 degrees and got out of there after about 10 seconds.. The people in the sports cruiser were soaked and trying to shelter behind the screen.. We were nice a dry and kept moving through the rough stuff which calmed a bit after about half a mile.. Yes, the water banging on the hull was loud at times but other than that we were very comfortable..

Thank you for your replies. I am now the proud owner of a mf755!! Looking forward to the delivery day!!

sprocker

Visit site
Congratulations, and best of luck with her!! We are looking at upgrading our MF645 to a MF755/795 over the next couple of years. The layout just suits us perfectly.

yawlboy

Visit site
I'm wondering how you are getting on with your 755 as I've just ordered my 755 for delivery in 2 to 3 weeks. What engine did you specify? Any issues I should be aware of?

LadyJ

Visit site
I'm wondering how you are getting on with your 755 as I've just ordered my 755 for delivery in 2 to 3 weeks. What engine did you specify? Any issues I should be aware of?

I know the question was directed to the thread originator but I've just finished my first season with a new 755. Engine is the Suzuki 175hp which I chose over the Yamaha due to lean burn. Boat has been fantastic with no real issue other than a few very simple 'new boat' issues that the dealer fixed instantly. It was an open boat before for me and have found the cabin a joy and was out twice this week which would have been no use before. Only slight issue with winter use is the steaming up of the windows which means I never use the cooker in the winter whereas a cuppa is a regular come spring/summer. Not sure there is an absolute fix but fresh air etc helps but if anyone else has a solution I'd be keen to hear.
I managed to get nearly 200 hours on the engine since last April and 1700nm under the belt and never missed a beat. Been away for a couple of 5 day holidays and a good number of overnights, even with wife and both kids so well used. Had some trips crashing through the waves and having them right over the top and not been worried albeit most has been in much better weather and in the better weather she sits at cruising speeds of 24/26 knots all day.
Enjoy and let us know how you get on.

wonky

Visit site
200hrs�������� great effort�� Particularly during THAT summer!

The first blocks were applause emoticons and the second a thumbs up!

Last edited:

beejay190

Visit site
I know the question was directed to the thread originator but I've just finished my first season with a new 755. Engine is the Suzuki 175hp which I chose over the Yamaha due to lean burn. Boat has been fantastic with no real issue other than a few very simple 'new boat' issues that the dealer fixed instantly. It was an open boat before for me and have found the cabin a joy and was out twice this week which would have been no use before. Only slight issue with winter use is the steaming up of the windows which means I never use the cooker in the winter whereas a cuppa is a regular come spring/summer. Not sure there is an absolute fix but fresh air etc helps but if anyone else has a solution I'd be keen to hear.
I managed to get nearly 200 hours on the engine since last April and 1700nm under the belt and never missed a beat. Been away for a couple of 5 day holidays and a good number of overnights, even with wife and both kids so well used. Had some trips crashing through the waves and having them right over the top and not been worried albeit most has been in much better weather and in the better weather she sits at cruising speeds of 24/26 knots all day.
Enjoy and let us know how you get on.

Broad brush what is your fuel consumption at (1) 20 knot cruising speed, (2) 24 knot crusing speed.?
What do you estimate your range - allowing for a safety margin?
At what crusing speed do you reckon the engine is in its sweet spot?
Thanks.

ST840

Visit site
Can you believe I have not happened to use it since I took delivery !!!!
The weather and wind has just been awful, not allowing any trips, it's starting to annoy . However I am planning a fishing trip this Wednesday and am looking forward to it! Will let you know how it goes .

LadyJ

Visit site
Broad brush what is your fuel consumption at (1) 20 knot cruising speed, (2) 24 knot crusing speed.?
What do you estimate your range - allowing for a safety margin?
At what crusing speed do you reckon the engine is in its sweet spot?
Thanks.

Not in the order you ask but here goes. With just me on board top speed is 34 knots with a 14.5 gallons an hour fuel burn. With five on board and fully kitted it drops to 31knots WOT. Cruising for me is 4800 revs for a 24.5 knots cruising speed and a burn of c. 9 gallons an hour, drop that to 4000 revs I get 18 knots and burn 5.5 gallons per hour, displacement speed of c.6 knots at 1900 revs burns 1.2 gallons per hour. For me 4800 revs is the most comfortable and I'd sit at that all day without missing a beat. Hope that helps.
Average consumption over the season so far is 1.7ltrs per nm so c. 150nm range with 10% reserve.
Enjoy when it arrives.

Last edited:

LadyJ

Visit site
Can you believe I have not happened to use it since I took delivery !!!!
The weather and wind has just been awful, not allowing any trips, it's starting to annoy . However I am planning a fishing trip this Wednesday and am looking forward to it! Will let you know how it goes .

Fingers crossed for Wed and I'd be keen to know how you get on with the front window steaming up, not a major issue but would like to know others experience. If you get out it would be good to gets some pictures. Brightens up the January blues.

ST840

Visit site
How did you get such a short delivery time? I ordered on 22/12 and my delivery is scheduled for mid June :(

I bought 2nd hand !!
The trip out Wednesday was very good, I had my first solo outing with no hitches. I did notice quite a lot of bilge water in her though (fresh water/rain water not salty).
I have a full canopy so anybody got any ideas how it fills up so quick?