Another new owner - anyone at Windsor Marina?

Sulley

Visit site
Hi all,

We are getting our new (to us) boat in a couple of weeks and are very excited. We are planning on keeping her at Windsor marina from reading the posts I know there are a number of people here from Bray, T&K and Harleyford is there anyone from Windsor? Any recomendations either good or bad for Windsor marina?

I have been reading Watson1959s posts with great interest he seems to be in a similar position to us and I agree boat ownership takes ages!

This is my first boat but I spent years at Penton Hook growing up with my parents boats as a kid/teenager. I'm now going back to it 15 years later actually now being able to afford my own.

Please be nice to another newbie :)

Ian45

Visit site
Welcome Sulley,

You will find this to be a great place to find help, give advice and generally enjoy boating subjects.

I'm sure you will have a superb time out on the river.

rosssavage

Visit site
Nope. But if you stand on the water front and look to the right, you will see about 20 riverbank moorings known as 'The Willows'. I'm one of them (L'Chaim - Princess 385) so please say hello as you come past!

I'm also a member of the TWYC - great club, friendly people and lovely clubhouse...

Loggo

Visit site
Hi Rossavage. Don't know if you rember us from last year (Viking 24 - Lazyleas) but we were very much in your debt when you helped us in a "situation" in a lock.
We have upsized and are spending a while on the Trent for a look around :eek: - Wish there were more moorings.

Sulley - you'll fine they are all a good crowd

Sulley

Visit site
Good to hear the natives are friendly :)

Rosssavage we'll keep a look at for you as we come past, we will be a Bayliner 285 currently the name is Katie J but we will be changing it to Akvavit. I know it's unlucky to change name but it us named after the previous owners wife so we wanted to change it. We should be there in a couple of weeks time.

Really looking forward to getting on the water!

We may also be persuaded to join TWYC.....

No Regrets

Visit site
Hope you're good at table decorating then. They never seemed to have much luck in the Boat handling stakes :D

Andrew_Fanner

Visit site
Good to hear the natives are friendly :)

Rosssavage we'll keep a look at for you as we come past, we will be a Bayliner 285 currently the name is Katie J but we will be changing it to Akvavit. I know it's unlucky to change name but it us named after the previous owners wife so we wanted to change it. We should be there in a couple of weeks time.

Really looking forward to getting on the water!

We may also be persuaded to join TWYC.....

Change the name, change the luck is sometimes said.

However, if the name changing is blessed by the distribution of drinks to witnesses at a suitable ceremony then that ensures good fortune, or so I was told:)

Sulley

Visit site
In that case I had better get to the off licence!

mmmm now all I need are some suitable witnesses and an understanding of this ceremony. Where to find those...

boatone

www.tmba.org.uk
In that case I had better get to the off licence!

mmmm now all I need are some suitable witnesses and an understanding of this ceremony. Where to find those...

Not quite that simple, I'm afraid. Some people take this matter VERY SERIOUSLY indeed.

Actually, I renamed mine just a few months ago and don't seem to have suffered too much ill fortune this far (although my Avatar does seem to have mislaid his pipe!) . Mind you, I did read that it should NOT be done while the boat is actually in the water so I carried out the deed while it was ashore.

Last edited:

Sulley

Visit site
Wow, who knew it was quite so complex and taken very seriously. Boatone thanks for the advice.

The other half wants the boat name changed so it will need to be done, just need to follow the rules :). She's upset that we won't be flying a Swedish flag so the name has to be Swedish!

Last edited:

TrueBlue

Visit site
She's upset that we won't be flying a Swedish flag so the name has to be Swedish!

There's nothing to stop you flying or wearing a Swedish flag, indeed it would be refreshing if you did so.

It's great to see different colours on th River apart from the boring old red.

No one has ever been boarded or prosecuted for incorrect Colours on inland waters as the act of flying or wearing ha no practical import unless you are at Sea.

I've had many a chance interesting conversation based on what happened to be flying from my Ensign staff at the time.

The only flags NOT to use are full Union, Skull and cross bones and St.George which latter identifies you as a football supporter:D :D:D. Definitely NOT anyway when the Little Ships are on parade or out in convoy, then it is a matter of Great Disrespect.

SO get yourself a sewn flag Looky here
and add to the ever increasing miscellany of colour on the Glorious River.

byron

RIP
Visit site
TrueBlue you have made my other half very happy, she says we will be ordering a Swedish flag! Prepare for the Viking invasion....;)

If asked you merely say your wife is the owner hence the Swedish flag. Don't forget though that while in British waters you should also be flying a small Courtesy Red Ensign preferably on the starboard arm of your mast or any other suitable place.

Portland Billy

Visit site
Swedish ensign

To be strictly correct you should be registered in a Swedish port, but I doubt if anyone will bother you on the upper Thames.

byron

RIP
Visit site
To be strictly correct you should be registered in a Swedish port, but I doubt if anyone will bother you on the upper Thames.

If the ship is NOT registered (as for example most swedish pleasure
crafts under 12x4 meters), You SHOULD fly the flag of the owners
nationality.

Last edited:

Sulley

Visit site
Could be a flaw in the plan then as the boat is part 1 registered.

We are equal co-owners so it's a British/Swedish boat :)

Back to the red ensign then and maybe a Swedish courtesy flag??

No one seems to want to admit to mooring at Windsor marina apart from Rossavage who's outside! ;)