Annual berthing rates and changing marinas

Turbonic

Visit site
I'm not at all sure this is in the right place but here goes...

If you areod way through an annual berthing contract, and want to move, what's the normal procedure as regards getting monies back? Pro rata, or pro rata minus a bit etc

Of course all marina companies are different, but there may be a general rule of thumb?

Thanks again, Nic.

KompetentKrew

Visit site
I don't think Havens Group refund at all.

When I was at Plymouth Yachthaven there were 2 or 3 postcards on the noticeboard offering berths for sublet - annual contracts run April-April. The terms seem to be that the berth holder has to find the replacement tenant, and the berth can only be transferred once - I'm not sure if there's a transfer fee. An annual contract can be transferred to a larger boat if the remaining length is paid for separately - e.g. if a 12m boat buys the remaining contract from a 10m boat, they have to pay the marina the extra 2m at the usual monthly rates for the remaining period.

I was there in November or December last year, and one of the berths was being sublet by someone who had been there for several years and who was returning in the spring. I think they'd left their boat somewhere in the north west. As longtime berth holders, one would think the marina would be glad to refund them if that was an option - gesture of goodwill to longstanding customers and all that - so presumably they stick strictly to the no refunds rule. The Yachthaven was the cheapest marina in Plymouth, so perhaps premium marinas are more flexible (my guess is they're not).

Because the berth can only be sublet once, it seemed like this generated conflicting incentives - the berth-holder obviously wanted to get as much as they could for their berth, but the rules forbade them renting it to me for a month and then to someone else for the remaining 3 months; therefore the value of the the berth was ticking away, depreciating. with every passing day. Yet the bertholders I texted about their berths for rent seemed to have an inflated view of their value, considering the number of 12m+ boats around and the marina's very reasonable winter rates.

Last edited:

Irish Rover

Visit site
When I changed my boat a few years ago the marina didn't allow transfer of the contract from my old boat to the new bigger boat so I asked about a refund for the unexpired period. The readily agreed and then told me the annual rate no longer applied and they would calculate the period of usage based on their daily rate which meant instead of getting a refund I actually owed them a small fortune ?

MickeyP

Visit site
I had my boat at Lymington Yacht Haven a couple of years ago and wanted to leave half way through the contract to take the boat to France. The berth I had was probably the closest to the facilities in the marina and they had a waiting list and particularly someone with mobility issues so the position suited them. LYH gave me a full refund for the remaining period. I presume if they have a waiting list they will play ball but not if they will have an empty berth so no refund.

V1701

Visit site
What does the contract smallprint say? It's unlikely that it's not mentioned in there. I'm afraid you'll be lucky to get anywhere near a pro rata refund but it is always worth a try, e.g. earlier this year I was only two months into a contract and got a refund of the full fee (that I'd paid in advance) minus two months at the then monthly rate. That was arguing from the standpoint of a relatively long standing and loyal customer who always pays in advance in full and having another boat in the same place that would be staying. I didn't expect to get anything at all back...

Turbonic

Visit site
I understand it should be in the small print, however I am in the joyous position of having bought a boat and now looking to put it somewhere.

The reason for asking was that the idea of being tied into a contract for a year is a worry: if the marina turn out to not be for me. (I would be staying late and arriving early most days also, nudge, wink, etc)

Thanks for info!

CLB

Visit site
I understand it should be in the small print, however I am in the joyous position of having bought a boat and now looking to put it somewhere.

The reason for asking was that the idea of being tied into a contract for a year is a worry: if the marina turn out to not be for me. (I would be staying late and arriving early most days also, nudge, wink, etc)

Thanks for info!

the best thing would be to pay monthly until you are happy with your choice. It will be more expensive, but cheaper than trying to get out of an annual contract in most cases, I suspect.

V1701

Visit site
the best thing would be to pay monthly until you are happy with your choice. It will be more expensive, but cheaper than trying to get out of an annual contract in most cases, I suspect.

However you pay the terms of the contract would likely remain the same. You could of course just stop paying and take off but they may pursue you through the courts or debt collectors. I've told this to a few people before when they've sold their boat and stopped paying, they have been pursued and ended up having to pay up...

To the OP if you let us know the area that you have in mind between us we'll probably be able to give you a reasonable idea what particular marinas are like. Personally I've never been in any marina where I'd find it so bad that I would have to leave, actually no the Royal Norfolk & Suffolk Yacht Club Marina (AKA the Royal Nobs & Snobs) was that bad but that would be the only one & I strongly suspect that they would be "liveaboard intolerant". I understand that you're trying to cover all eventualities but I'm sure you'll find somewhere that suits you and enjoy your new liveaboard life...:)

CLB

Visit site
However you pay the terms of the contract would likely remain the same. You could of course just stop paying and take off but they may pursue you through the courts or debt collectors. I've told this to a few people before when they've sold their boat and stopped paying, they have been pursued and ended up having to pay up...

To the OP if you let us know the area that you have in mind between us we'll probably be able to give you a reasonable idea what particular marinas are like. Personally I've never been in any marina where I'd find it so bad that I would have to leave, actually no the Royal Norfolk & Suffolk Yacht Club Marina (AKA the Royal Nobs & Snobs) was that bad but that would be the only one & I strongly suspect that they would be "liveaboard intolerant". I understand that you're trying to cover all eventualities but I'm sure you'll find somewhere that suits you and enjoy your new liveaboard life...:)

i meant pay monthly for a monthly contract.