Anglesey Swing Moorings

Marceline

Visit site
Hello - were thinking of moving to a different mooring next year and have just been out to look at a few

The one's available on the Anglesey gov website mention these below

• Beaumaris
  • Fryars Bay
  • Glyn Garth
  • Menai Bridge
  • Red Wharf Bay

Beaumaris/Gallows point seems to be the best one for us - very close to the road and the chandlery nearby and there looks to be parking (though not sure how busy that'll be peak season), and we'd hope to get out and sail more especially round Puffin Island and across the bay when the tides are high

We didn't really know how to get down to Glyn Garth though (lots of very lovely looking expensive houses along there but couldn't see how to get down to the shoreline - do people set off from Gallows Point ?)

Fryars Bay was a bit of a '?' as there looked to be no moorings there (not sure if we were looking at the right place - drove by the coast road there)

And Red Wharf Bay was very lovely, but though theres parking (and no overnight) even on a weekend day out of season it was very busy. To be able to get where people leave their dinghys also looked difficult with large stones to have to walk over - we thought itd be difficult with us carrying lots of gear/outboard etc

Does anyone have any experience of mooring at those places, just as we've spent 3 seaons at Y Felinheli/Port Dinorwic and while we've loved that think we'd enjoy a change?

Marceline

Visit site
guessing there may well be waiting lists so some/all the above, but thought if we enquire soon we might have a better chance etc

dansaskip

seabear.uk
I used to have a mooring opposite the Glyn Garth flats. There is an old slipway by the Gazelle Hotel from where I used to launch my dinghy. Could drive car down there to unload but not park to leave car in the pub park. Used to leave it in layby at top. Some people left their dinghies on yje shore near by the slipway.
There is also a footpath that runs down to the shore by Chateau Rhianfa - the turreted place a bit closer to Menai Bridge. Bit of a challenge to lug the dinghy and gear down there and back up but did it a few times.
Loved my mooring there as good access to N end of the Straits without the tidal constraints of the Swellies or Caernarfon bar but that equally applies to Beaumaris.

kieron riley

Visit site
UNLESS THINGS HAVE CHANGED DRASTICLY Anglesey council don't have a clue if they have any moorings available or not at any of there site.they lost there way some years back and where not able to even answer emails, so best of luck (it is a lovely place to sail from)

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
We had a mooring at Lady Margaret's Bay for some years. About half way between Gallows Point and the Gazelle. No moorings there now, lifted for the cockle fishing. But there is a small layby at the top of a path down to the water. Not been there for years but at one time you could have carried gear down there

Marceline

Visit site
UNLESS THINGS HAVE CHANGED DRASTICLY Anglesey council don't have a clue if they have any moorings available or not at any of there site.they lost there way some years back and where not able to even answer emails, so best of luck (it is a lovely place to sail from)
ah heck - well here's hoping I get lucky

Really hoping we can manage to move next year - I think not having to get out past The Swellies will be a big help

Marceline

Visit site
We had a mooring at Lady Margaret's Bay for some years. About half way between Gallows Point and the Gazelle. No moorings there now, lifted for the cockle fishing. But there is a small layby at the top of a path down to the water. Not been there for years but at one time you could have carried gear down there
Cheers so much - that's really helpful

We're just heading over there now so will have a look and see if we can find this path as well

Marceline

Visit site
we had a look (and thanks for those suggestions and ideas) at the Glyn Garth moorings

They look lovely and deep and in such a nice place, but we think the walking down the steep public paths with gear/outboards would be difficult for us. The Gazelle Hotel looked intesting but we also wondered how as its such a lovely spot (and straight across from Bangor Pier) how busy the public at the hotels many outdoor benches would be in summer (especially at weekend) and if driving down there to unload and things how tricky that could be

so we think we'll try applying for the Gallows Point/Beaumaris moorings and hopefully see if theres a waiting list there or not

One thing we again werent sure of is - are the moorings provided/maintained by the Council (like the they are by Caernarfon Harbour Trust) or do we need to find someone who could put a mooring down for us there

Marceline

Visit site
just been looking at google satellite maps now and just wondered - are there places people park/leave the car for the day/launch on the Bangor side of the Strait and go across to Glyn Garth ? Wondering if Garth/Bangor Pier is maybe a way we could do that ?

Also wondering about Dickies Boatyard/Porth Penryhn and their moorings but they do look to dry out a lot and with us only daysailing if that would limit getting out/back too much

Last edited:

JOHNPEET

Visit site
Are you looking for a deep water mooring then? I assume that you’re aware that a high proportion of the moorings between Gallows Point and Beaumaris Pier also dry out? The moorings in this area are also very exposed in anything of an Easterly blow too.
You haven’t mentioned why you’ve ruled out the moorings between Menai Bridge and say Ynys y Big!

Marceline

Visit site
Hi and thanks for your reply JOHNPEET-

re: deep moorings, we've a bilge keel sailboat so can dry out, but if it is possible for a deep mooring, or one that isn't too long on our keels it'd be a nice to have just as we can only day sail at the moment (and for the forseable), so being able to have more flexability with leaving/getting back would be a nice to have

re: Menai Bridge and Ynys y Big - we didn't see them listed on the Anglesey Council website as an option so werent sure about them

Moorings

Do you know you we'd approach to ask about those moorings ?

Our main prob getting on/off the moorings is we're not very fit so if we've to take our gear up/down a lot of steep stairs/paths we'd struggle, and being able to park close by for the day (and maybe overnight if we get late back) would be important

JOHNPEET

Visit site
Hi and thanks for your reply JOHNPEET-

re: deep moorings, we've a bilge keel sailboat so can dry out, but if it is possible for a deep mooring, or one that isn't too long on our keels it'd be a nice to have just as we can only day sail at the moment (and for the forseable), so being able to have more flexability with leaving/getting back would be a nice to have

re: Menai Bridge and Ynys y Big - we didn't see them listed on the Anglesey Council website as an option so werent sure about them

Moorings

Do you know you we'd approach to ask about those moorings ?

Our main prob getting on/off the moorings is we're not very fit so if we've to take our gear up/down a lot of steep stairs/paths we'd struggle, and being able to park close by for the day (and maybe overnight if we get late back) would be important
For the stretch of moorings at Menai Bridge, I would contact the Harbour Master at Menai Bridge. Contact details on this web page:

Maritime notices

I’m sure that he would also be able to advise on typical parking arrangements and where your tender may be stored if required.

Marceline

Visit site
Many thanks JOHNPEET and we'll get in contact - really helpful thanks

I wonder why those weren't mentioned along with the others on that other page I'd linked to

Marceline

Visit site
Thanks Laysula - tbh I hadn't and didn't know of those positives - they all sound well worth considering thanks (y)

One of the reasons we hadn't looked to there is on our charts it looks like theres a lot of overfalls at certain tidal times around the coast there and we thought that might be too challenging for us at the moment (and also we've no AIS or Radar for the fast moving ferries etc)

We're Day Skipper qualified but haven't been out of the Straits yet (mainly as we can only day sail/need to be back home in the evenings for the forseable) would you think someone like us would be able to manage there (I guess it would give us a good education for those tidal gates and sea states etc)

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
There are far more options in the Strait, possibly less convenient but more rewarding. Beaumaris Bay would be my first choice but available moorings might be scarce. I began my cruising career there many years ago and have no regrets. Joining NWVYC would be a good move to gain experience.

ridgy

Visit site
How big is your boat? If it's less than 30 feet there are drying moorings at Bangor on the mainland side next to bangor pier which are cheap and you can park by the waters edge and leave a tender there.

However as with all the straits you are confined to going one way or the other with tide.

Holyhead is the only sensible place to keep a boat if you actually want to go sailing, particularly day sailing where you can come and go as you please. You don't meed ais or anything, the ferries aren't frequent, you can see them coming a mile away and they are used to dodging boats. Plus you don't need a dinghy.

The overfalls are not a problem in the type of weather that a cautious sailor would go out in.

The only downside is the extra drive and the bleak view when you get there.