Android Anchor Watches Bewilderment

RogerJolly

Visit site
Is it just me that’s bewildered by the seeming complexity surrounding anchor watch apps on Android (Sleep mode, Doze mode etc)?

I have 'My Anchor Watch' installed. It doesn't work once the screen has gone blank after half a minute or so (sleep?). I can't see it listed on Play anymore. I'll delete it.

I also have 'Anchor Pro'. This has a warning about something called Doze Mode suspending the GPS feed (this is not very comprehensive/clear). Is this issue why My Anchor Watch stopped working?

Does anyone have any definitive steps that will guarantee success? Might they be ‘get an iPhone?

Many thanks

NormanS

Visit site
Is it just me that’s bewildered by the seeming complexity surrounding anchor watch apps on Android (Sleep mode, Doze mode etc)?

I have 'My Anchor Watch' installed. It doesn't work once the screen has gone blank after half a minute or so (sleep?). I can't see it listed on Play anymore. I'll delete it.

I also have 'Anchor Pro'. This has a warning about something called Doze Mode suspending the GPS feed (this is not very comprehensive/clear). Is this issue why My Anchor Watch stopped working?

Does anyone have any definitive steps that will guarantee success? Might they be ‘get an iPhone?

Many thanks
I have an App called Anchor Lite on an Android device. So far I've never felt the need to use it in earnest, but it seems quite simple and effective. If I set it and then walk down the garden with it. 😄
It keeps the screen active (automatically?).

Bristolfashion

Visit site
I believe that there's an Android issue where the phone goes to sleep to preserve battery life, triggering failure or alarm mode. The app developers can't override this feature. On our Android anchor alarm the simple solution is to keep the phone charging which, for us, has worked perfectly.

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
Provided the input is constantly changing, for example using Waze or Maps while driving, the phone will stay awake even if not being charged. Presumably at anchor there are long periods during which there are no data inputs, so the phone goes to sleep.

Snowgoose-1

Visit site
I believe that there's an Android issue where the phone goes to sleep to preserve battery life, triggering failure or alarm mode. The app developers can't override this feature. On our Android anchor alarm the simple solution is to keep the phone charging which, for us, has worked perfectly.
👍
I have also found that many Garmin H/H gps models have the anchor watch facility

Snowgoose-1

Visit site
👍
I have also found that many Garmin H/H gps models have the anchor watch facility
Often found under "Setup".

F

Bristolfashion

Visit site
Provided the input is constantly changing, for example using Waze or Maps while driving, the phone will stay awake even if not being charged. Presumably at anchor there are long periods during which there are no data inputs, so the phone goes to sleep.
Ah, that's interesting.

KompetentKrew

Visit site
Unless things have changed in the most recent versions of Android this can be overridden by a background service - I think this forces a notification which cannot be dismissed. The Linphone VoIP application does this and I think the anchor alarm I prefer also does this.

I think my preferred app was Anchor Watch Lite but it's some time since I used it - it looks a bit different, but I think it's just that made some improvements.

Bristolfashion

Visit site
Unless things have changed in the most recent versions of Android this can be overridden by a background service - I think this forces a notification which cannot be dismissed. The Linphone VoIP application does this and I think the anchor alarm I prefer also does this.

I think my preferred app was Anchor Watch Lite but it's some time since I used it - it looks a bit different, but I think it's just that made some improvements.
Yes, quite possibly. I'm running it on an old Android 7 phone. I'll check it out on the current version of Android. Thanks.

Irish Rover

Visit site
There's a setting in Anchor Pro to stop the phone going to sleep. It's hard on the battery life, though, and the phone needs to be plugged in at night. I just use a separate tablet always on charge.
Screenshot_20240919_082112_Anchor Pro.jpg

ylop

Visit site
It’s complicated and a bit of a mess for a developer.
1. Each hardware manufacturer can implement their own battery saving features, which they may or may not provide the user access to disable.
2. This sort of functionality has “evolved” a lot with different versions of Android.

But if you can find settings to keep the screen awake and the app in the foreground (ie open on the screen) then I think you should be ok. That may mean leaving charging - but if you are doing that it will be power hungry anyway.

iPhone is a bit nicer to the developer in this regard. Developers who use tools to write one app for both platforms may find extra challenges because some of the features become “lowest common denominator”.

I would be surprised if your gps is stable enough, even in a calm anchorage to be considered “the same input”. The biggest issue will be if the app is put to background eg to make a phone call, browse YBW, play a game, watch YouTube. At that point it becomes a bit of roulette how Android handles the background app - it may at any point just stop it - but it will depend on power, memory availability, various OS and app settings etc. there are techniques to manage this in apps - but it starts to become “experienced” developer territory which might mean you are in the paid app world - at least then you could expect some troubleshooting if all is not ok.

RogerJolly

Visit site
Some good info thanks all. Looks like 'Keep Screen Enabled' is the ticket.

Guess the problem is we're using technology that's not really suited to safety critical situations if Android updates can snooker things without warning.

Irish Rover

Visit site
Some good info thanks all. Looks like 'Keep Screen Enabled' is the ticket.

Guess the problem is we're using technology that's not really suited to safety critical situations if Android updates can snooker things without warning.
My Android phone and tablet are both set for auto updates and it has never caused an issue with any of my boating or weather apps.

RogerJolly

Visit site
Looks like I'm just unlucky then with my choice of 'My Anchor Watch'.

The other day I set it in Newtown Creek and forgot about it. Motoring off next day no alarm until I woke up the phone. I could have drifted without warning. Shouldn't Android developers keep on top of any changes needed as OS changes (though it looks like this apps has been withdrawn)? It's real wild west platform IMO.

Another one - what about the "Warning from VisitMyHarbour about Marine Navigator" - sticky post on this forum? Warns about Marine Navigator being disabled out of hand?

srm

Visit site
People used to anchor, sleep soundly, and wake up in the same place, long before mobile phones were dreamt of. According to @Neeves there are no reports of modern gen anchors dragging so what's to worry about?

jlavery

Visit site
Looks like I'm just unlucky then with my choice of 'My Anchor Watch'.

The other day I set it in Newtown Creek and forgot about it. Motoring off next day no alarm until I woke up the phone. I could have drifted without warning. Shouldn't Android developers keep on top of any changes needed as OS changes (though it looks like this apps has been withdrawn)? It's real wild west platform IMO.

Another one - what about the "Warning from VisitMyHarbour about Marine Navigator" - sticky post on this forum? Warns about Marine Navigator being disabled out of hand?
Yes, Android and iOS developers do need to keep on top of any changes. Some don't. The "Warning from VisitMyHarbour..." thread highlights this. The developer has chosen not to keep on top of changes.

Some OS changes require major rewrites/refactoring of an existing application, and can even make them unviable.

(I develop mobile apps for a living, in case you can't tell!)

NormanS

Visit site
People used to anchor, sleep soundly, and wake up in the same place, long before mobile phones were dreamt of. According to @Neeves there are no reports of modern gen anchors dragging so what's to worry about?
Some of us still do. 😀 (But don't necessarily have the most up to date and fashionable snazzy anchor).
However, I saw a mention of an app called Anchor Lite, possibly on here, put it in my phone, and tried it out in the garden. It worked, so it's there to be used IF I was in a worrying anchoring situation.