Anchoring on the Non-Tidal Thames.

Visit site
Some advice please for a newcomer to the Thames based in Windsor.

I have previously done all my boating in Ireland, mostly on Lough Erne and some on the Shannon, where I would frequently drop the anchor for coffee and indeed often for an overnight stay. Can I anchor on the Non-Tidal Thames? I appreciate that it would be inappropriate in the narrower parts of the river, but there are occasional places where it looks quite wide enough to anchor without obstructing the navigation channel. Firstly, am I allowed to, and secondly, is it accepted practice?

On another point, is it considered reasonable or acceptable to make a short stop on the end of a long lock landing? This would only be the the 20 minutes it would take to eat a sandwich, and the boat would always be attended, and would only happen if it was not at all busy, and therefore not inconveniencing others.

I look forward to the advice and comments from others.

Andrew

Gibeltarik

Visit site
Some advice please for a newcomer to the Thames based in Windsor.

I have previously done all my boating in Ireland, mostly on Lough Erne and some on the Shannon, where I would frequently drop the anchor for coffee and indeed often for an overnight stay. Can I anchor on the Non-Tidal Thames? I appreciate that it would be inappropriate in the narrower parts of the river, but there are occasional places where it looks quite wide enough to anchor without obstructing the navigation channel. Firstly, am I allowed to, and secondly, is it accepted practice?

On another point, is it considered reasonable or acceptable to make a short stop on the end of a long lock landing? This would only be the the 20 minutes it would take to eat a sandwich, and the boat would always be attended, and would only happen if it was not at all busy, and therefore not inconveniencing others.

I look forward to the advice and comments from others.

Andrew
Hello Andrew,

You can, legitimately, anchor or moor anywhere on the Thames for a reasonable period in the course of navigation.

You can anchor out of the fairway (navigable channel - the middle third ) for a similar time. Be prepared for passers by to ask if you are broken down! Legal but not common!

EA interpret reasonable as 24 hours on their moorings - Private moorings and frontages can set their own terms and charge as they wish.

Lock laybays are for transit but the Lock-keeper may be happy to approve your brief stop.

Neil1300r

Visit site
I've never considered anchoring on The Thames, never even considered it. No idea. Re mooring up in the lock layby , ask the lock keeper and make sure you are at furthest point from the lock, facing the other way. Then its obvious to anyone approaching the lock, you are not moored, waiting to go through the lock