Anchoring at Frinton?

Timberwolf

Visit site
Hello everyone. Here goes with my 1st post!

Weather is looking pretty good this weekend (for once) and children want to go to Frinton beach. I thought I might try and be clever and instead of taking them by car, why not go round by boat and anchor off the beach? Has anyone done this or got some advise to offer?

Thanks in advance.

PS - Boat is a Sealine F37. Draws about 3 1/2ft and can't take the bottom.

FullCircle

Visit site
Hi,
I often used to go and anchor in the area inside Clacton Pier and take the dinghy onto the beach. No technical issues, and no nasty bottom hazards that i ever dragged up.
I used to give the Beach Guard in the RIB (or is it a PWC these days?) a drink, and then he would shoo people off the dinghy on the beach and also prevent kids swimming out to your boat and clambering aboard.

There is plenty of water, the beach shelves quite quickly. Go to a less inhabited bit like Frinton, you should have no problems at all, as it will be less crowded with day trippers.

Welcome to the Forum Mr Wolf.

shmoo

Visit site
Welcome.
Are you sure you want to go to Frinton? You know there are bylaws that say you not allowed to eat on the grass behind the sea front? Frinton thinks it is so posh that no one there eats. In fact you may not be able to do anything on the seafront.

We got told off for riding our bike along the sea front in the rain, in January, in a gale.

An old guy (older than me, even) shouted at us from a shelter " You are not allowed to cycle here ".
I shouted back (because of the gale you understand; I am too polite to shout normally) " Yes, I know "
He spluttered, " But you are cycling "
All I could think of saying at that point was, "Yes, evidently"

I wouldn't go there if I were you.

CliveG

Visit site
I can't resist trotting out the old saying.

Harwich for the continent - Frinton for the incontinent.
/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Timberwolf

Visit site
Yes I have had the Frinton experience before!

At least it will be interesting to see what social faux pas('s) I can make whilst anchored off their beach!

shmoo

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

At least it will be interesting to see what social faux pas('s) I can make whilst anchored off their beach!

[/ QUOTE ]

You'll fit right in here then...

Hope you have a lovely day.

bastonjock

Visit site
welcome to the forum,i was down at SYH a couple of weeks ago,im now thinking of basing my boat down there.

do you know if you can park your car permanently there?

i have a trailer sailer and i need a 4x4 to launch and retrieve,i was thinking of leaving my 4x4 there

phatcat1

Visit site
Hi Baston Jock. Not sure about SYH and slips, but you can launch and leave car and trailer at Woolverstone. Good facilities aswell.

Quite a few others do.

shmoo

Visit site
There are a couple of old (and my guess is unlicensed) 4*4s about the place. You might want to start off negotiating use of one of those.

bastonjock

Visit site
thanks to all for answering my query,i have checked out the cost and its on a par with a wells harbour mooring.My big concern was around getting my boat in and out of the water,that slipway is steep.but my 4x4 had no probs with it.

I am envisaging leaving my boat fully rigged on the trailer and dropping her in when i go sailing,i did not want to have to drive my diesel guzzling shogun/pajero 250 miles everytime that i felt like sailing.

Other threads that may be of interest