Amulet

claymore

Visit site
Bought this last week and read it fairly quickly.
Interesting story and good for a light read. Anyone else read it?

<hr width=100% size=1>regards
Claymore
/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

claymore

Visit site
Hi Claymore
Yes I read of the book in this months YM - sounds a bit of a scrounger to me does Bob Orrel - I couldn't work out whether he got to grips with his crew or not - what do you think?

Claymore

claymore

Visit site
His name has two L's - Orrell.
es he does sound a bit of a scrounger to me too, fancy getting a boat for a bottle of whisky then getting a succession of women to pay for the materials, offer him a free shed then help do the work.
As for the crew - well she paid for the whole thing, can't make my mind up whether he managed the downfall of her Alan Whickers but all those sultry nights on peaceful west coast moorings with a whisky or two - I'd find it hard to believe he didn't

Claymore

claymore

Visit site
Yes I tend to agree on the last point - do you have any friends or do you always talk to yourself like this?

Claymore

claymore

Visit site
Friends - me - oh yes loads, well I often phone the speaking clock for instance.
Its always this way really - if we talk about SOLAS or Mooring Strops or Burgees or the Firemen or kedging off there are always plenty of responses. It always goes a bit quiet though once I introduce a bit of culture or literature. I keep doing it though, really I think its good for them - the forum that is - I seem to have this need to expand their minds a bit, of course that's a thankless task and in some cases - no names no pack drill - completely futile, but there are few who are showing some signs of response. Anyway have to go - books to mark as they say.

Claymore

tcm

Visit site
No. I have also been extremely careful responding to posts today. Especially when they guffaw at the idea of being stopped and give on the spot fines, when it actually happend to me. yes really.

anyway i didn't like to interrupt your mono-conversation. Inversation?

claymore

Visit site
Re: Wozz Amulet? nm

Amulet is the story of a gent who saw a boat rotting in a garden. After some months he contacted the owner and got it for a bottle of Whisky. He then persuaded one lady to give him free storage/workshop space, a load of wood to fix it and some of her time to mend it. He persuaded another lady to part with a lot of money so that he could buy things like a new engine and some more wood and a few bits and bobs like dsc enabled radio, gps etc and give some of her time to mend it. he persuaded his partner (another lady) to make him food etc, whilst he packed in his job and got stuck in to getting the boat mended.
This all done he took the middle lady (she with the cash) off for 2 or 3 months on a cruise around the scottish islands and in most anchorages he seemed to complain when she wanted to go off and have a shower. He also refers fairly frequently to his custom of not doing a lot "whilst she went off and did her shopping" I think he actually did help her eat her shopping along with all the meals she bought him en voyage.
He ended up sailing the boat up the Clyde and then contacting the builders brother and selling him the boat. There are 2 issues that Claymore wishes more information about. 1) Was the relationship with lady 2 platonic and 2) did the lady get to see any of her cash once he'd sold the boat?
Thats it really - bought the book at Fred Holdsworths excellent bookshop in Ambleside last Wednesday afternoon - (off on Residential with Students) and read it by Friday.
In fairness he did put a lovely cruise together and his description of some of the places he visited is good - very good if you are planning a cruise in God's Country.

Claymore

claymore

Visit site
Re: A La Recherche du Temps Perdu (short version)

Arty Farty do...
Will you be washing prior to attendance?

Claymore

sailbadthesinner

Visit site
didn't it start to leak badly throught the voyage or summat
we have it at the cottage i think. will check the shelves.
but i always end up on a cold wet afternoon picking up owen parkers book.

<hr width=100% size=1><font color=red>I can't walk on water, but I do run on Guinness</font color=red>