Americas Cup AC45s close encounter

Way

Anyone had any fun in this area?! We just had one change course a quarter of a mile from our stern...we were just a fraction west of the main harbour channel away from the racing area (apparently this isnt in force today anyway) and they passed us/overtook us c.10 ft with a slightly nervous look on their face!

No harm done. Noone hurt. Shook up my better half as we had our baby onboard. They just don't look fully in control

Last edited:

Grumpybear

Visit site
Anyone had any fun in this area?! We just had one change course a quarter of a mile from our stern...we were just a fraction west of the main harbour channel away from the racing area (apparently this isnt in force today anyway) and they passed us/overtook us c.10 ft with a slightly nervous look on their face!

No harm done. Noone hurt. Shook up my better half as we had our baby onboard. They just don't look fully in control

Yup. Exactly that (but even closer!) in Plymouth Sound before the 2011 regatta. One of the French boats. Our dogs were a bit shook up, but my wife wanted to give the Frogs a whiff of grapeshot!

Steve Clayton

www.aloeland.co.uk
America's Cup - when we visited as onlookers and attended a briefing. Told Colregs did not apply. We should hold our course and the AC boats would take any necessary avoiding action.
Be interesting to know what the AC "colregs" are for Portsmouth - in the LTM?

prv

Visit site
America's Cup - when we visited as onlookers and attended a briefing. Told Colregs did not apply. We should hold our course and the AC boats would take any necessary avoiding action.

Strictly speaking the colregs will still apply - however important the organisers might think they are, they can't "turn off" the law of the land. Obviously in practice we'd heed their advice.

At Portsmouth the races are being conducted inside an exclusion zone created by the Queen's Harbour Master, so the question doesn't arise - you shouldn't be there in the first place!

Pete

Steve Clayton

www.aloeland.co.uk
Strictly speaking the colregs will still apply - however important the organisers might think they are, they can't "turn off" the law of the land. Obviously in practice we'd heed their advice.

At Portsmouth the races are being conducted inside an exclusion zone created by the Queen's Harbour Master, so the question doesn't arise - you shouldn't be there in the first place!

Pete

The AC boats we saw did several sail-bys through the viewing flotillas - makes sure the punters get their monies worth!

ronsurf

Visit site

This implies the AC yachts would always give way. Therefore they are not applying the colregs.

Bobc

Visit site
From their perspective you are stationary, so they steer round you. The last thing you should do is change your course.

These are the world's best sailors, so I suspect they know what they're doing. The question is, do you?

Way

interesting
Would totally agree with the view 'they're stationary so steer around you'. That's what we (attempted) to do.
Plus coming almost directly up our stern (nearly literally) they were overtaking and hence were give-way

In practice they looked shakey and struggling to keep on course and narrowly went around our stern. like I say, with a slightly nervous look on their faces. Probably sensing our slight nervousness/exasperation too.

They were right on our stern and doing 15+knots and seemed last minute to swerve around us. Tenuous enough (with newborn onboard) that my better half was quite tearful afterwards.

No harm done. My wish for a close-up was over-granted and I can't help but smile about it now!!

they strike me as Grand Prix cars on ice.

Bobc

Visit site
What they worry about is someone seeing them coming, panicking, and then suddenly changing course to try and get out of their way.

It's the same with anything that does 20+kts under sail. Just hold your course and let them sort it out (you're not going fast enough to get out of their way anyway, so don't try).

I can imagine that it can be quite a scary experience though.

Way

Totally agree

It was hairy, heart in the mouth stuff. I'll try and share the pic I got of them closing in. fun or 'fun' stuff! We were on our feet in mild-panic mode!!

Like I say I can smile now. Seeing them go around (perhaps attempt 2) and fly past again and sail right into the harbour, at speed, right through the patch where there is no wind(!!) was quite something. Adds more excitement to Portsmouth harbour

What they worry about is someone seeing them coming, panicking, and then suddenly changing course to try and get out of their way.

It's the same with anything that does 20+kts under sail. Just hold your course and let them sort it out (you're not going fast enough to get out of their way anyway, so don't try).

I can imagine that it can be quite a scary experience though.

Iain C

Visit site
Way/Bob...mutual friends!

Either of you out over the weekend? We'll be out tomorrow and in the Hardway Bar on Saturday night for a few if either of you are about?

+1 on just holding your course. Bob is spot on, when you are sailing a fast skiff or anything on foils anything else is essentially static.

Way

Mr C....hope you're well matey!

Was down last weekend so not down this ..: hopefully will be again v soon. Already taken Ella to bembridge which was awesome ...she (we!!) coped very well. We're on the pontoons til March at weevil/POG so can get out really easily.

Ps I still have the thank you Rum for the kite for you and Tom on the boat believe it or not. Only been 2 years!

Way/Bob...mutual friends!

Either of you out over the weekend? We'll be out tomorrow and in the Hardway Bar on Saturday night for a few if either of you are about?

+1 on just holding your course. Bob is spot on, when you are sailing a fast skiff or anything on foils anything else is essentially static.