Algarve marinas, discount schemes

[3889]

Visit site
Anyone know of Algarve marinas which offer discounted stays at others nearby? I know Portimao gives 50% off Alcaidesa and Douro through Transeurope. Wondered if there were other similar schemes.

RAI

Visit site
Not the Algarve, but Andalucian marinas give annual contract holders 50% off for reserved stays at associated marinas. Ayamonte is almost Algarve.

RAI

Visit site
The Algarve marinas compete with each other on price for the winter months. But if you want to get residency, skuttlebutt and the live aboard link suggest Lagos has the easiest route. You need to get a reservation there though. Their 8/9 month winter contract is good value. Summer costs an arm and leg IMHO.

nortada

Visit site
Anyone know of Algarve marinas which offer discounted stays at others nearby? I know Portimao gives 50% off Alcaidesa and Douro through Transeurope. Wondered if there were other similar schemes.
Are you thinking of heading this way and when.

The ‘cheap’ winter season begins on 17 Sep.

[3889]

Visit site
Are you thinking of heading this way and when.

The ‘cheap’ winter season begins on 17 Sep.
Looking to arrive Lagos-ish early Sept (currently in Rias Baixas). Want to recce the best deals before committing as Marinas seem quite coy on deals. First choice, at the mo, is Vila Real. Visited most Algarve ports in the past and prefer functional towns to holiday resorts.

Last edited:

nortada

Visit site
Looking to arrive Lagos-ish early Sept (currently in Rias Baixas). Want to recce the best deals before committing as Marinas seem quite coy on deals. First choice, at the mo, is Vila Real. Visited most Algarve ports in the past and prefer functional towns to holiday resorts.

To the best of my knowledge Algarve marinas don’t do deals. They don’t have to and it is not the Portuguese way.

Situated on the Guadiana, Vila Real can be a bit exciting in the winter floods. If I was to go that way, I would get Portuguese residency, then winter in Ayamonte, using the 90/180 Schengen rule. We have a family house in Ayamonte and it is a nice little, all the year round town. Marina is safe but the on shore facilities are basic but adequate.

RAI

Visit site
Ayamonte is competitive price wise only with their annual contract. If you are looking for less duration, others are cheaper.
Vila Real d.S.A. is pretty full and only accessible around slack water for the average sailor. The river passes through it. Otherwise, a nice place.

[3889]

Visit site
To the best of my knowledge Algarve marinas don’t do deals. They don’t have to and it is not the Portuguese way.

Situated on the Guadiana, Vila Real can be a bit exciting in the winter floods. If I was to go that way, I would get Portuguese residency, then winter in Ayamonte, using the 90/180 Schengen rule. We have a family house in Ayamonte and it is a nice little, all the year round town. Marina is safe but the on shore facilities are basic but adequate.
I want to keep my Schengan allowance in my back pocket so boat must live in Portugal for non-sailing visit purposes. Been to VR and up the Guadiana before and realise it is not always for the faint hearted.
I'm relocating from Brittany, which is also popular but uses mutual schemes to encourage sailing, and I have been spoilt by Passeport Escale which allows free marina (150 of them) use across W Europe for a very modest fee. That said, I prefer anchoring so lack of mutual arrangements is not a deal-breaker.

nortada

Visit site
I want to keep my Schengan allowance in my back pocket so boat must live in Portugal for non-sailing visit purposes. Been to VR and up the Guadiana before and realise it is not always for the faint hearted.
I'm relocating from Brittany, which is also popular but uses mutual schemes to encourage sailing, and I have been spoilt by Passeport Escale which allows free marina (150 of them) use across W Europe for a very modest fee. That said, I prefer anchoring so lack of mutual arrangements is not a deal-breaker.

Schengen, Brits and the Guadiana are going to become a interesting situation.

Visit site
The Ria Formosa is great for anchoring - as long as you are in the area - not clever to leave the boat alone in winter. Graham has a mooring and will, no doubt, give advice.

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
The Ria Formosa is great for anchoring - as long as you are in the area - not clever to leave the boat alone in winter. Graham has a mooring and will, no doubt, give advice.

I certainly wouldn't leave a boat on anchor unattended in the Ria for extended period. Winter weather can be nasty at times and high winds and tornadoes not unknown. Ginasio Clube Naval in Faro laid the moorings here, we bought ours 13 years ago. Another one was laid yesterday but space for many more now getting restricted. The club do have a couple to rent short or long term but don't know the prices or availability.

andyc352

Visit site
I’ve just booked a winter contract in Albufeira. Adagio is 10.6m and with CA discount the cost of €1500 for 6 months is much cheaper than other quotes I’ve had. Albufeira would not be my first choice however this is the winter to stay here as tourist numbers are way down making it blissfully quiet.

nortada

Visit site
I’ve just booked a winter contract in Albufeira. Adagio is 10.6m and with CA discount the cost of €1500 for 6 months is much cheaper than other quotes I’ve had. Albufeira would not be my first choice however this is the winter to stay here as tourist numbers are way down making it blissfully quiet.

Does that quote include EVA at 23%❓

andyc352

Visit site
Hi Nortada. Yes, the price includes 15% CA discount then 23% EVA. Also includes water and leccy. Total €1505 for 6 months between 15 Sept and 15 June. There’s also a discount on haul out and a few free days on the hard thrown in but doubt I’ll use that.

RAI

Visit site
Hi Nortada. Yes, the price includes 15% CA discount then 23% EVA. Also includes water and leccy. Total €1505 for 6 months between 15 Sept and 15 June. There’s also a discount on haul out and a few free days on the hard thrown in but doubt I’ll use that.
How many months are there between September and June?

RAI

Visit site
Believe it or not, I can count. The contract is for a 6 month stay between those dates.
Sorry, I wasn't trying to be clever. Can you choose which 6 in 9? Do the 6 months have to all be contiguous? I.e. can you slip a month in Faro on the hard in March?