Alderney

G

Has anybody been to Alderney recently?

I just spent the last weekend there, the first time I have been there for almost 2 years.

The showers and toilets in Braye harbour were as ever -awaiting money to be spent. What really surprised me was the decline in businesses in St Annes. A number of restuarants, hotels, pubs, cafes and shops have all closed down, or will be closing down shortly.

The lady in the Mainbrayce chandlery informed me that the causes of this decline have been the death of a local entrepreneur, and the two internet betting websites now based on the island. People would rather work for a guaranteed wage rather than struggle running their own businesses.

The problem being that even with the limited number of boats in Braye this weekend (not all the moorings have been laid yet), there appear to be insufficient eaing outlets - we had real problems fiding somewhere to eat on Saturday night.

The good news is that in almost all other respects the island remains unchanged and is still worth a visit.

G

Pricey nosh places

This will enable the survivor restaurants to increase their prices. As I remember last year, the 'best' restaurant (can't remember the name, probably Altzheimer Cafe) served superb lobsters but not particularly nicely done, for which there is NO excuse. They were also pricey by the CI standards - perhaps not unreasonable as the local economy doesn't sustain these tourist attractions as they may on Guernsey or Jersey?

G

I was in there 5 weeks ago and the water taxi was nowhere to be seen despite using mobiles to call the local pubs as well.( Dinghy was dead, charter boat !)

I made a quick stop at the fishing boat quay ( falling tide and big keel !) to send crew off for beer and found a French couple shivering with cold, who had been waiting over 1.5 hours for the Water Taxi who was returning "in 5 minutes". Needless to say, I returned them to their yacht as I returned to a mooring but never saw or heard the taxi during my entire stay from 18:30 to 05:30 on a Sat/Sun night.

I guess they just do not want tourists, or at least yachting ones.

Visit site
Re: Pricey nosh places

Could it have been the "First & Last"? - We got asked to leave there a few years back (Inc two hungry - but very well behaved teenage boys) because I enquired - ever so politely if we were likely to be waiting any longer than the hour we had already waited for our ordered starters. After a few years though we went back and had many a superb meal - but I still didn't get on with Madame!!

Alderney has a unique character - I have been going there since 1973 when everyone had to anchor because they hadn't decided to lay moorings by then and midnight anchor tripping parties were common - and often superb entertainment!

Roland, the Mainbrayce Chandler & water taxi operator is alive & well; I heard him on a radio4 phone-in the other day.

The best place to eat used to be the pub opposite the Chez Andre Hotel in Victoria St.

I hope that Alderney doesn't decline now that the French mainland marinas are in operation. It has many fond memories for all my family and I know many other people's too despite the trip ashore & the long walk up the hill.

Steve Cronin

longjohnsilver

Visit site

To me Alderney is a small area of paradise to equal the beautiful Isles of Scilly. I can't wait to get back there later this month when the eldest brat (and crew member) has finished his GCSE's. People there are extremely friendly, the food is good even though a little on the pricey side and the beer is truly awful!

milltech

www.iTalkFM.com

It's one of those destinations that's great when the sun shines! When it doesn't it reminds me all too much of a wet Sunday around 1955.

There's a nice bar place with good food on the far side of the Island and a pub on main street with a nice back garden and good food. First and Last was too much of a good thing for me, too rich, too many sauces on one plate. Pity because the food standard was quite high.

Easterly Gale or Rain? Be somewhere else!

billmacfarlane

Visit site

Ditto Steve. I've been there twice in a genuine heatwave and had a wonderful time cycling with my wife and daughters to some of Alderney's uncrowded fantastic beaches. I've also been there once in rainy weather and couldn't wait to get to Guernsey !!! I'm not too bothered about the standard of food. I've accepted long ago that it's never going to be brilliant but accept it as part of the charm of the island. The good food can wait a bit until you get to Cherbourg or one of the new French Cotentin west coast marinas.

rogrowen

Visit site

We will be going to Alderney, wouldnt miss it, even though we got stuck there last year, we were the only sailors in yhe hotel then, as the weather was a bit brisk.
So see you there next weekend

hove2

Visit site

Best place to eat is the Braye Chippy. Water taxi can soon deplete the boat kitty with a crew of six going ashore each time. This can make Braye the most expensive places to stay. However I would not miss it as it is my favourite CI stops.

hlb

RIP
Visit site
Strange !!

When I was there last summer the lobster salad was fantastic.
So were the mussels in wine at another spot.
Best without the water taxi though. He's on drugs!!
Ok for the Laugh though, if you dont mind going round in circles a few times.
But the sun was shining!!

Haydn

G

Sailed past on the return leg of Exmouth - Cherbourg - Exmouth, but crew did not want to change plans, I am returning to Cherbourg later in summer. Is the Island as beautifull as it appeared from sea, and worth a visit

Exe cruising