Alcool brulee in Fastnet lamp

Kelpie

Visit site
I really doubt it! Alcohol and lamp oil are not closely related.
Get a parrafin cooker and then you cna run both on lamp oil, but it will cost you...

VicS

Visit site
I think you will find that l'alcool à brûler, methylated spirit (CDA) or any other form of denatured alcohol will burn with a non luminous flame so not particularly useful in a lamp.

VicS

Visit site
And a lot faster..

Best for the BBQ

DO NOT USE any form of ethanol ( meths etc) on a barbecue.
It is very dangerous to use any such highly flammable liquid.
Every year people are seriously burned as a result.

Likewise and even more dangerous, petrol.

Use only a proper BBQ lighting fluid, which as a much higher flash point.

planteater

aboardhippo.blogspot.com
I think you will find that l'alcool à brûler, methylated spirit (CDA) or any other form of denatured alcohol will burn with a non luminous flame so not particularly useful in a lamp.

A very good point!

I may be cheapskate but a lamp that burns with an invisible flame is no bargain.

Is there any cheaper alternative to lamp oil?

VicS

Visit site
Ordinary paraffin ( kerosene) but lamp oil may be a bit more highly refined and burn with less smell. Scented sometimes too isn't it?

DownWest

Visit site
VicS,
Quite right, it does go with a bit of vigour... I have used white spirit, cellulose thinners and parrafin (never petrol!) on the BBQ. But I do stand back.. Bit iresponsible to recomend it on open forum. The alcool bruler leaves less after taste though. All depends what's handy..

VicS

Visit site
VicS,
Quite right, it does go with a bit of vigour... I have used white spirit, cellulose thinners and parrafin (never petrol!) on the BBQ. But I do stand back.. Bit iresponsible to recomend it on open forum. The alcool bruler leaves less after taste though. All depends what's handy..
Paraffin is safe.. as far as we could tell in the lab thats basically what BBQ lighting fluid is.

Let it burn off before cooking and there's no taste.

DownWest

Visit site
Right, but there is always a bit of pressure from the hungry to get the food on. We used to use parrafin years ago, same as we used in the lamps (70s) Every Sunday we washed out the lights glasses to get rid of the black stuff. No lecky on the farm in the Algarve then.. Pressure lanterns with mantles were good fun too. Good light, but hot, so we had to angle it to give the best light with the least heat in 30deg temps.

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
A very good point!

I may be cheapskate but a lamp that burns with an invisible flame is no bargain.

Is there any cheaper alternative to lamp oil?

For the volume that I use I can stand the cost of lamp oil, which AFAIK is close to paraffin in molecular weight but with a very low sulphur level. Many garden centres and suchlike sell smell-free fuel for paraffin heaters, said to be OK for indoor use. Presumably this won't be a million miles from lamp oil.

The fuel sold by B&Q is marketed by Bartoline. You can compare the datasheets for their lampoil and paraffin here. There are slight differences but they don't seem very significant to me.