alcohol or gas heater

lindsay

Visit site
I am looking for an independent heater for a 29 foot sailing yacht for occasional, irregular use out of season in the Mediterranean. Marina based in the winter, I use a standard fan heater on 220v.

It seems to come down to either an alcohol fuelled Origo 5100, or a catalytic heater, easily found in caravan shops, using camping gas.

Which is the safest? I would not expect to be able to rely on either to leave on all night, using multiple sleeping bags instead.....just to provide a cheery atmosphere during a cool, dark evening and to ease the morning chill. I am a bit concerned that the Origo could overturn, whereas the catalytic would be bolted to a bulkhead.

or is it just as efficient to use a firebrick and my normal gas burner/looker?

Any experience appreciated

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
We had catalytic heaters in two boats, 29 and 34 feet, and I have fitted one in a camper van. Very effective and economical. As with any form of heating where the combustion products exhaust into the boat there is a certain amount of moisture that condenses on cold surfaces, usually windows. This was never a severe problem even in UK winters.

No experience of an alcohol fuelled heater but my opinion of the cookers is that they may be OK to boil the occasional kettle but not for anything more serious.

SHUG

Visit site
You know you have an alchohol fire when the roof lining begins to melt. Stick to gas as you seem to have it alredy for your cooker.