Aktio yard

AndrewB

Visit site
In Cleopatra now. PM your boat name, whereabouts and email address, I'll take a photo. The wind has damaged covers on a number of boats here.

nimbusgb

www.umfundi.com
Very much appreciated Andrew B.

'Cariad'. Aktio yard. Pretty much the far south Eastern corner of the yard.

I am pretty sure that she's the boat with the red arrow pointing at her but she could be just out of frame bottom left where the other arrow is pointing.

Untitled-1.jpg

Last edited:

AndrewB

Visit site
Nimbusgb: These photos should help. It looks like the main part of the cover is holding. There is pooling in one spot, but not serious. There is however a loose green piece tied round the base of the mast, which I couldn't see what it was meant to be doing.

Cariad is looking a little untidy outside after the winter, and could use some TLC to help sell it.

Cariad.jpg

Last edited:

nimbusgb

www.umfundi.com
Nimbusgb: These photos should help. It looks like the main part of the cover is holding. There is pooling in one spot, but not serious. There is however a loose green piece tied round the base of the mast, which I couldn't see what it was meant to be doing.

Cariad is looking a little untidy outside after the winter, and could use some TLC to help sell it.

Cariad.jpg

Andrew.

Many thanks. I'm hoping to come down in the next month or so. spruce her up, take down the For Sale signs and go sailing! You have been a great help! Looks like the plastic sheet over the forehatch has gone but ces't la vie!

I owe you a dinner at Panos'.

nimbusgb

www.umfundi.com
Goodgreef looks like sardines in a can

BTW hows your sis and peter ?

Hi Roger. Thanks for asking. Meri made it as far as November last year. Last Thursday would have been her 53rd birthday. Still a little raw. Pete said that she just slipped away and looked very relaxed so a little comfort at the end.

Pete ..... Well he's Pete! He's fit, fat and happy! :)

rogerthebodger

Visit site
Sorry to hear that but at least she did not suffer too much

Haven't had a dicky bird from pete as I thought he may want to come sailing with me but may be too busy.

If ever I get back to the UK for a visit we must get together.

nimbusgb

www.umfundi.com
I'm amazed to see spray hoods still up on the boats behind, surely they'll get damaged though the winter an it only takes 5 mins to remove.

Some people literally walk away from their boats over the winter. Most do however strip them back. A lot of people may well have been de-winterising though so don't be too hard on them! :)

There are probably 1500 boats in that picture in the 3 adacent yards. All but one or two undergoing maintenance leave the masts up all winter and over the Greek winter the winds regularly get to 60kn plus. No one gets blown over but all those boats are on cradles made of substantial I beam based cradles with liberal cross bracing. we've been in the yards for 9 years now and not seen any catastrophes and there have been several significant earth tremors in that period. Dad's boat has been there probably 20 years without incident.

Although they are slotted in close there is usually about a foot between them. The blokes that drive the cranes and cradles really do know their stuff and can place a boat within a few cm of where they want it.