AIS transponder anyone know a supplier who will go extra mile

blampied

Visit site
Prices are falling so I was hoping to fit an AIS transponder.
Currently live aboard my boat in Cartagena Spain.

Checked with the local Cartagena marine electronics supplier (who are icom agents), who quoted an eye watering 1,140 euros (supply only)
So I contacted my usual big name UK mail order supplier, who have several AIS makes advertised at arround £400
However all require connecting to a PC for initial setup, (to enter Boat name, MMSI number, port of registery etc). explaining I'm living on the boat in Spain don't have a PC only have an iPad. But they advise they would not program the details on to it for me if I ordered one. (It's a good job they aren't in the USA where it has to be programmed by the dealer and self set up is illegal)

Does anyone know of a reasonable priced Spanish supplier between Cartagena and Gibraltar
Or failing that a UK mail order supplier who is willing to go the extra mile (probably more like an extra 6 inches) and spend five minuites programming data onto one before sending it out?

Last edited:

RichardS

N/A
Visit site
I believe that my Vesper Marine XB8000 - which is one of the best transceivers you can buy - can be set-up using the Watchmate app on iPad/Android over wifi or by the PC program.

I set mine up using my laptop so I didn't do it using my Android app although I now do all the monitoring over the app.

Email VM and ask them. They will reply very quickly.

Richard

blampied

Visit site
I believe that my Vesper Marine XB8000 - which is one of the best transceivers you can buy - can be set-up using the Watchmate app on iPad/Android over wifi or by the PC program.

I set mine up using my laptop so I didn't do it using my Android app although I now do all the monitoring over the app.

Email VM and ask them. They will reply very quickly.

Richard
Yes it was Vesper that I was looking at the 6000 at £449
Unfortunately The 8000 pushes the price up to £600 out of my price range

boatmike

Visit site
Hi Paul,

A little off piste perhaps but you need to reflect on the advantages of a transponder relative to a simple receiver that you can buy anywhere and fit yourself for a fraction of the cost if you already have a chartplotter. Don't know what the Med situation is but here at home the sea is becoming so cluttered with signals that I have had to either turn off alarms or disable AIS completely. Frankly many of the signals I get are from boats sat in marinas that simply fail to turn the damn things off when they are ashore. If I am taking that attitude are commercial vessels really taking notice of every AIS signal, especially if it does not register on their Radar? Can't answer that one but I wouldn't rely on it personally!
I didn't want to add to the clutter and am totally unsure that it really adds anything to safety if you already have an efficient radar reflector so I stick with receive only, but then it is a matter of opinion. In my 48 years of boating I have always acted defensively and assumed that the other guy cannot be relied upon. Receivers are very useful when crossing shipping lanes where it is your duty to avoid larger vessels. I will take a great deal of convincing that those vessels will (or indeed can) take any action to avoid you at close quarters. I have therefore spent my money on a good Radar and an AIS receiver which displays on my chart plotter. If I spend any more money it will be on an active Radar transponder rather than AIS. Having said that if I can help by talking to suppliers in the UK for you e-mail me direct. You have my address.
p.s. Apella is nearing launch date now all ready for the off which will be mid June. Still hope to meet up!

boatmike

Visit site
By the way Paul, whatever you go for I would look at the website of Seven Star Electronics. They have a wealth of information and their kit is used very extensively in the commercial market. They are also reasonably priced. (sold by Force 4 and others)

emnick

Visit site
i bought the icom MA500TR stand alone unit IIRC £435 at LIBS i think the non show price was £479 it should interface with the ICOM VHF etc also can drive a plotter so I am told.

syneraida

syneraida.com
Try these guy's https://www.svb24.com/ very efficient as you would expect.

I would agree SVB are normally excellent, not sure if they'll set it up for you, but you can always ask. Otherwise, what about buying one and just asking around the marina for someone with a laptop who'd be happy to program it for you, I setup mine ant it took a couple of minutes., if someone asked me to setup theirs and offered a couple of beers i'd be very happy ;)

blampied

Visit site
Ok thank you all for the advise.

I also checked with the manufacturer of Vesper.
The U.K. Mail order company then did an about turn and agreed to pre load a vesper 6000 for me.
Now on it way a mail order to the Med.