AIS receiver or AIS transceiver

cmedsailor

Visit site
Help me to decide please. I have the option to replace my vhf with a unit (ray73)that includes ais receiver for 240 euros or buy an ais transceiver (raymarine AIS700) for 860 euros. Big difference. Is it worth it? Is the transceiver in a not very busy sea (given where I sail) a must or an extra luxury?
Thanks

Resolution

Visit site
I used to have just the AIS receiver, until a rough crossing of the North Sea in heavy fog. Quite frightening in close proximity to ships and not knowing whether they could spot us on their radar or not. Now we are based in Turkey and, as you describe, not often in busy seas. Or fog! But being able to transmit does mean our friends can spot us and maybe come and join us. Also means the Turkish coastguard know exactly who we are, which some may consider good news, others perhaps not.
And if we venture back to busy waters, then it will definitely be a good bit of kit to have.
Peter

differentroads

blog.offbeatsadventures.com
I had this dilemma last year and chose an AIS receiver. I use my AIS receiver and VHF radio very defensively to judge and then avoid potential collision situations, calling up vessels to check their intentions and warning them that (usually) I'm about to take change course well before a dangerous situation occurs.

I have a Radar Target Enhancer that improves my electronic visibility to ships and larger fishing vessels and pleasure craft. But I wouldn't rely on it (nor a class B AIS transmitter) to alert other vessels nor for them to respond. Then again, I'm a bit of a coward and control freak!

All_at_Sea

Visit site
As said above you don't need to buy the Raymarine piece of kit although it is plug and play if you already have a backbone in place. The cheaper units all use nmea so you can add it but will need to check with Raymarine (assuming that is your chartplotter now) which wires to use on your plotter.

ashtead

Visit site
Personally would go for transceiver but if budget an issue just find a reliable brand . We have Raymarine but I notice no difference to previous boats one from Digital yacht. I guess it depends on ease of fitting and tech knowledge though as to fitting other makes and units of time to fit .

Sea Devil

www.michaelbriant.com
I think it depends where you sail.

If you are regularly offshore in or around shipping lanes then there is no doubt that a transceiver will make you visible to merchant ships and if you speak with them they will then know which yacht (echo) they are talking to.

If your sailing is coastal with light shipping movements then probably a receiver is all you need. You can see them and take action but of course they cannot recognise you but encounters are infrequent.

Skylark

Visit site
I’m assuming that all other electronics on the boat are Raymarine?

Personally, I wouldn’t hesitate for a moment, I’d buy the Raymarine unit to integrate with the plotter / MFD.

The price difference isn’t huge compared to the cost of the boat and to the (planned) length of ownership.

AIS is a very useful and versatile piece of safety equipment. I don’t think that you’ll regret it. The only downside that I’m aware of is that my wife can keep an eye on me via the interweb when I’m having fun with mates :)

I had quite few warranty issues with my electronics that took several visits to resolve. I’m sure that having other brand kit connected would have given them an excuse to throw suspicion, leading to grief for me. I’m a bit cynical but not worth putting to the test, imho.

RupertW

Visit site
When I eventually get AIS I expect to go for a transceiver - in the Med I’ve only had fog once in 8 years so it’s low on the priority list. Without fog I don’t feel the need day or night, through shipping lanes or busy ferry areas but it seems sensible to get the full package with the option of turning your transmission off (as I would sailing anywhere around Croatia for example).

Halo

Visit site
In case it helps I had no problem integrating a Vesper Watchmate with my Raymarine system.

+1 for transciever - I dont like sailing without one !

djs

www.uniquesolutions.co.uk
Emtrak B100 works just fine with my raymarine mfd. Installed last summer and a big improvement on the NASA receive only unit it replaced. Uses a separate antenna on the stern arch, dedicated gps aerial in a locker under the deck.
Dave

jamie N

Visit site
McMurdo M10, GX2200 and an Echomax. I reckon that I'm covered on that? I'd also be concerned by thinking that traffic isn't too heavy where one sails, it only takes one etc.etc.

Other threads that may be of interest