Air/sea rescue display in the bay on Saturday

Mike_S

Visit site
Anyone else see it ?

Had no idea it was happening, was a great spectacle to witness especially as we had non-boaty friends and their kids with us for the weekend. Talk about good timing, we came out from showing them the Millenium Stadium by river, headed over to Mermaid Quay only to be intercepted by the harbour patrol asking us to stand off until after the display. 20 minutes or so of RNLI chaps chucking themselves in, being rescued by the Sea King etc, was great to watch. The kids loved it, especially waving at the helichopter guys as they flew over us.

Ended up in the visitors pontoons again, MQ was mad busy. As usual, forgot to take the camera though so don't have any photos of the display /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

DAVIDO

Visit site
Saw part of it from the Marina only just got out of the shower. Bit of a heavy night. Fab weekend though on the boat all the time. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Mike_S

Visit site
I thought I saw your Sealine tied up, wasn't sure though so didn't come wandering through the gate. I must remember to take the forum burgee with me next time I go down to the boat.

nty

Visit site
Am based in Cardiff too.

Put the boat into the marina for the weekend

Think I saw you Mike_S

I was in a white Zodiac RIB. We tied to a buoy for the display

Nick

Sneds

Visit site
Hey, is that an open invitation, hop you've gots lots of /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif
/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

damo

longkeel35.org.uk
We moved over to Mermaid Quay just after the display and got a good spot alongside the main walkway. Getting off afterwards against the wind was tricky though - I climbed over the gate onto the commercial pontoons to put a line over a cleat so I could pull the boat to windward. You cant spring off a pontoon that has handrails!

Mike_S

Visit site
Wife was in charge and didn't want to head to MQ after the display as she thought it would be full (turned out not to be of course) so we headed straight into the visitors moorings. It was damn cold & windy in there though, no sun at all. The wind doesn't half whistle down that lock, one poor chap & chapess got themselves in a right old pickle trying to get off the pontoon.

nty, were you the RIB alongside us then ? I was sat on the front of our boat whilst the wife wrestled with the helm. One day she'll listen to me when I suggest tying up to one of the marker buoys /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Allan

Visit site
Everytime I walk from CYC to Mermaid quay I wonder why they didn't use one of the other docks for the visitors pontoons? There would be much more sun. They could always remove the St Davids hotel and the flats next door but that may be a bit drastic!
Allan

Mike_S

Visit site
Yup, have wondered that myself especially seeing as how the one by Harry Ramsdens already has the lock gates stuck open, they could certainly install a few pontoons in there as well. I guess it's the additional gate & 'cashpoint' installation required that's put them off...

Allan

Visit site
Don't get me started on the "cashpoints"!!! OK I will! The flats next to St Davids and the shops etc. at Mermaid quay are more expensive because they overlook a boating view. Yet they try to make us pay to be an attaction! That is why I walk from CYC in the first place! I used to live in France and if they tried that over there the bars etc. would go mad. Where I lived, in Granville the pay and display meters, for cars, in the town centre did not charge between 12-00 and 14-00. If you went into the marina for lunch it cost nothing! In Cardiff the "traffic wardens" on the pontoons warned me for putting a sign on the side of my boat (facing away from the quay) telling people what the gate code was. I feel like organising a protest!
End of rant!
Allan
PS I still think Cardiff bay is a great place to sail.