Advice Please - Leaving for the MED

DistantDrum

Visit site
My wife and I have now retired and have released ourselves from the UK society. Now living on board and trying desperatly to leave for the Med. A later than expected launch after overhaul and a few extra teathing problems have delayed our depature. It now looks like the earliest we are are going to be able to leave is Saturday 21st of August (from Ipswich). Is this too late for the Biscay and what advice would you give on a route now?

<hr width=100% size=1>

Sunnyseeker

Visit site
We had a similar late departure a couple of years ago.
You just have to wait in Falmouth a bit longer for a weather window if your planning on doing it in one go to La Curuna or Bayona.
We finally left on Nov5th but there were at least 8 other boats that had been holed up in Falmouth waiting for the green light by then, so quite a good spot to meet up and share notes, there will almost certainly be people there who've done it several times. You may also have to sit out some rough weather in Spain or portugal before heading on down the coast, but its a lovely place, even in the winter.
Having said that on our return we had pretty awfull weather in July approaching Coruna and the corner of spain.
Theres definately a little bit of luck as the forecasts are only really good for three days.

<hr width=100% size=1>

DavidJ

home in Brum. S37 sold, was in Med Spain.
Visit site
You could cut out the 'risky' bit and have the boat transported by road to the Med. My guess is that a boat your size would be about £6000. You're in the Med then to enjoy the autumn and find yourselves a comfortable winter spot.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Sunnyseeker

Visit site
Or £6000 to spend on the best sea food in Europe/world? mmmmm tricky, Santiago with hardly any tourists, Bayonas beautiful yacht club, quiet Galician villages, Lisbon/Cascais near Christmas was fantastic (and warm), Cadiz, Seville..
I'm off to buy another boat and leave again.

<hr width=100% size=1>

MedMan

teall.name
I suggest the following:

1. Delay your departure by a further day.
2. Join the Cruising Association <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.yachtretreat.com>http://www.yachtretreat.com

pragmatist

Visit site
What's her draught ? Always fancied a winter strolling thru the canals - suspect if you draw less than 5ft it might be an alternative.

<hr width=100% size=1>a pragmatist is an optimist with a boat in the UK

dart

Visit site
Why not stop at France on the way and then you have a 2 day crossing to La Coruna which is within the weather forecast window?

I left Plymouth mid October last year. The plan was to stop at Cameret and then on to La Coruna. I got a weather update in the Chanel du Four and decided to press on.

Down Portugal the plan was to do overnighters and only stay in rock solid harbours e.g. La Coruna, Vigo, Vianna do Castello, Lexios, Alcantara(Lisbon) and Lagos. We deviated from the plan and were severely punished. We went into Pova de Varzim, which was awful. Its probably fine in summer but W/SW swell goes right in and we got no sleep for 3 days. Also Cascais was awful. We got 2 days of foghorn and then 3 days of gales, which made the marina uncomfortable with surge. If I'd stuck with the plan it would have been fine.

The secret is good weather forecasts and patience. Make sure you have some form of 5 day forecasts so you can plan ahead. See the link below (shameless plug) for one solution.

<hr width=100% size=1>Marine weather maps by mobile: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.zipget.com>ZipGet</A>

bobd

Visit site
youve waited many years for this why get stressed leaving late plan well for next year and really enjoy atlantic spain &portugal as we did last year their hospitality & seafood is sadly missed now we are working our way east thru the med experiencing lots of overpriced marinas & take it or leave it attitudes

<hr width=100% size=1>

www.BrendanChandlerYachtDelivery.co.uk
Leave for the MED

I expect to be taking a boat to the Med next month.

I will sail to Falmouth and wait for a weather window there.

Use WeatherOnLine.co.uk to get 5 days of forecasts for the Atlantic and if you look farther west you should see any large lows that may be on the way.

I suggest that you head for Sada which is about 20 miles east of La Coruna and well worth a visit.

Life is for living so go live it.

Brendan

<hr width=100% size=1>
http://hometown.aol.co.uk/brendanchandler/index.html