Admiralty Chart 5600-4

themount2

Visit site
Can anyone explain why there is a Fl(4)W eminating from Hurst Light guiding us straight over the Shingles Bank? Day Skip lecturer says "stay in the white sector" and I have to say I would be a tad reluctant on this one!
I've looked up the light in the almanac and it says "unintensified" what does that mean?
Thanks
Brian

jimi

Visit site
Well .. I'll have a bash.

If you look at the chart then you can see that there's also the needles light house with some sectored lights. The Fl(4)W identifies Hurst and is 4metres higher on the same tower as the sector lights for the needles channel. It is therefore used to identify the approach to the needles channel and distinguish it from the needles lighthouse ...

Rowana

Two steps lower than the ships' cat
Visit site
Sounds as if someone has been swotting up for a YM exam !!

Good Luck, jimi. Please let us know how it went

Twister_Ken

'ang on a mo, I'll just take some bearings
Visit site
In the Needles Channel

Your post had me foxed, becasue I've done this passage at night a good many times. Having now looked at the chart, my conclusion is that the white over the Shingles should be treated as long range light to guide the poor mariner to the entrance of the Needles Channel, and that once up to Bridge, you follow the Channel using the very narrow sector Iso WRG light and the lit buoys. Thinking back, I'm sure that once we've found the Needles channel, we've never needed to look at the lighthouse lights for anything more than general orientation, and we steer from buoy to buoy as we do in the Solent.

themount2

Visit site
Re: In the Needles Channel

Thanks guys
Haven't sailed in from there yet so no benefit of experience. It's all a bit academic really as having noticed the light on the chart you would have to be a bit of a twat not to notice where it would take you, and if you insisted on "following the white light" dogmatically you would deserve everything you got!! Shingles ain't pleasant are they?
Good luck Jimi
Brian

Magic_Sailor

Visit site
By George I\'ve got it!

I think!

The Fl(4)W doesn't guide you over the Shingles - it is sectored to only be visible when approaching from the West throught the North Channel.

There is yet another Fl(4) WR Intensified which is visible from a greater distance from SW to approx NE. This gets you to Bridge (from SW) in the first place.

There is another sectored light on the same lighthouse but this is ISO WRG. This is only visible when approaching from the SW up the Needles Channel. If you stay in the white you'll miss shingles and avoid Bridge (it must be this that your DS lecturer refers to). Once past Bridge, I'd move over and stay in the Green/White - being careful not to bump into shingles elbow and mid shingles.

I might even move a bit further east and stay in the white sector of Needles lighthouse which would actually get me through the narrows.

S'all a bit compulcated init.

Magic

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://hometown.aol.co.uk/geoffwestgarth/myhomepage/travelwriting.html>Click for website!</A>