Adding AIS to current VHF network

andylipsberg

Visit site
Hi there,

I'm new to this, therefore I have questions:

I currently have GPSmap 720 with Garmin VHF 300 radio. I want to add AIS to my boat looking at getting Garmin AIS™ 600 Blackbox Transceiver (which works with my plotter). There are some used ones and new ones available in the market. Transceiver may use the same antena as it has built in splitter.

The question, how would I interconnect everything that it works, do I need to run new cables for power, NMEA network etc.

andylipsberg

Visit site
Just a thought .... as I see - its a discontinued product, its the older plain Class B AIS .. and price !!

Surely there must be a less expensive, still current unit, and Class B+ ??
current units are not compatible with my old chart-plotter. I'm fine with discontinued product :)

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
Hello

I run a Garmin GPSMAP 740 chart plotter and a VespaMarine AIS Watchmate, VespaMarine have taken over by Garmin and it was just a matter of wiring up the NMEA 0183 connections.

Looking at the specification of the Garmin AIS™ 600 Blackbox you will need a NMEA 2000 network - they are actually really very good. My 740 runs on 2000 and integrated with Radar it looks like air traffic control at the helm

Personally, I use a VesparMarine VHF Splitter as apart from radio checks with the English Coastwatch Institution and conversations with pals about who will get the beers at the bar rarely transmit.

PaulRainbow

Visit site
The Garmin AIS600 is discontinued, dated, basic, expensive and only supports NMEA2000 (which adds even more cost).

A much, much better solution would be an Emtrak AIS. Available with a built in splitter, supports NMEA 0183 and 2000, multiplex's those. Also available with Wifi, if needed and SOTDMA or CSTDMA

PaulRainbow

Visit site
The Garmin AIS600 is discontinued, dated, basic, expensive and only supports NMEA2000, which adds even more cost and work to install. Also needs an external GPS, more work to install.

A much, much better solution would be an Emtrak AIS. Available with a built in splitter, supports NMEA 0183 and 2000, multiplex's those. Also available with Wifi, if needed and SOTDMA or CSTDMA

PaulRainbow

Visit site
When I bought my Deep Sea transducer I needed a separate GPS antenna and was led to believe that this was an AIS requirement. Is this not the case?
Yes, AIS has to have it's own GPS. It can send GPS data o other devices, such as VHF etc, but it cannot tale GPS data from another device.

The Garmin AIS600 has an external GPS, the Emtrak AIS has it all built in, so easier to install.

Refueler

Visit site
current units are not compatible with my old chart-plotter. I'm fine with discontinued product :)

Forgive me - but I find that hard to believe ... NMEA is a standard that crosses brand borders ... so if your plotter accepts NMEA - then you just need to make sure what you install supplies that NMEA format ... 0183 or 2000 ....

To be honest - the price I see for that "Garmin AIS™ 600" ... I can buy a new plotter with built in AIS Transceiver ... ie Onwa / Matsutec etc. for LESS money !! But please - don't let me stop you spending !!

DrSpock

Visit site
Yes, AIS has to have it's own GPS. It can send GPS data o other devices, such as VHF etc, but it cannot tale GPS data from another device.

The Garmin AIS600 has an external GPS, the Emtrak AIS has it all built in, so easier to install.

Unless of course you can't position the unit with good GPS reception rendering the internal GPS useless.

Refueler

Visit site

Just asking ...

Are there not AIS transceivers that accept external GPS input .. ie from a plotter, puck or GPS equipped VHF ? Why does it need its own GPS ?

I would think that most AIS Transceivers have it built in out of convenience ??

PaulRainbow

Visit site
Just asking ...

Are there not AIS transceivers that accept external GPS input .. ie from a plotter, puck or GPS equipped VHF ? Why does it need its own GPS ?

I would think that most AIS Transceivers have it built in out of convenience ??
It's a requirement that AIS transceivers must have their own, dedicated, GPS receiver.

DrSpock

Visit site
I have to disagree. I've had to install external GPS antennas on a number of occasions due to dropout or accuracy issues. It's very rare your satellites are directly overhead and any angle of incidence can cause signal loss from reflective interference / shielding from any metallic or RF source.

I certainly wouldn't use the fact that having as internal antenna as an installation benefit a reason to buy one.