Actiev

TrueBlue

Visit site
Well this forum has gone to sleep for a couple of days, so I thought I'd jigger it into "life".

MBM has woken up to the fact that this large old boat is up for sale (she was on offer for most of last season)

http://www.ybw.com/auto/newsdesk/20070223155811mbmnews.html

As it's for sale via what looks like an estate agent It should be noted that "suits large family who like to wash a lot".

Just in case the "Christie Co" has any connection with that world famous firm of art auctioneers it could be said "the previous owner was VERY careful in navigating this vessel... the design borrows design details from popular adaptations of canal craft".

I have it on good authority that Actiev's progress through locks was often slow and ponderous due more to the navigator than to any difficulties that the vessel might present.

Acid humour apart, it's sad to see any of these large boats cease commercial operation. Streatley has gone / going; I didn't see much of Magna Carta last season Nuneham comes out only about once a year, and the regular trip boats seem less in evidence. They all do add colour to what is becoming an increasing drab appearance to this "Glorious River"

byron

RIP
Visit site
I have eaten many a nice meal on Actief when Richard was the Skipper and Bollocks was the cook. We called her that because she was frightfully posh but could say the word in a great variety of ways giving it so many fruitful meanings.
She is a great big lump and as you say ponderous but Richard handled her as if she was a TSDY with thrusters fore and aft. (I'm talking about Actief not Bollocks.)

theguvnor

Visit site
Seeing Actief bow on from anything bar the largest craft bought to mind the
"Bow Bell." When I did a season as assistant lock keeper it was always a pleasure to see her drift into the lock, usually with Americans on board, as the supply of chicken drumsticks / cake / and just opened bottles of wine was much appriciated. Never got to know "bollocks" but she could throw a 3" thick rope with the accuracy of a dart player

ianc1200

Visit site
Don't know about the others but I'll be glad to see the back of Streatley. Gracefully, slowly cruising along entertaining her guests, and then charging back after dark at something like 10 to 12 knots. At least Actiev seemed to be slow at any time.

IanC