A year in the Med

tony_brighton

Visit site
We've jacked it in and are taking a year off from the rat race. Starting 1st May we intend to cross the Channel, do a bit of Brittany, cross Biscay to La Corunna and then Portugal, Gib, Med Spain, Ballearics, Corsica & Sardinia (if poss) before overwintering in Barcelona. Is there anything/place that anyone strongly recommends to see along the way? Or maybe to avoid?

Co-incidentally Euro2004 is showing just as we pass Portugal.

<hr width=100% size=1>

snowleopard

Visit site
most people stop off at cascais, try going up the river to lisbon itself. when we were there in 2001 there were free pontoon berths in the doca de alcantara (anyone know if this has changed or if the marina at the expo site has been rebuilt?)

<hr width=100% size=1>

Danthegorrila

in med on way to ........ home used to be in Cumbr
Visit site
Hi, in a year you won´t see all you could!

Here´s a list of top spots we found last autumn.

Gijon in Northern Spain was great and cuts down the Biscay crossing.

Portosin was fantastic we based there for a month and days sailed, easy visits to Santiago too.

Ills de Cies, the only islands untill the Ballierics very nice and a good anchorage.

Bayona only 7 miles from Illes de Cies great old town, anchorage and Real Yacht club.

Porto, Lexios marina was not very pleasent but it is quite possible to go up the river to Porto and tie up along side the tour boats, I´m not sure how that would be in the summer. Porto and a port house tour is very worthwhile.

Cascais, anchorage and marina. very easy to visit Lisbon (where all the marinas were full) 1€ on the train. Also visit Sintra on the bus very intersting town.

Rota near Cadiz, very nice and by far the best of the marinas in Cadiz area.

Peurto Banus to watch people and be near Mohamd Alified yacht but don´t stay long.

Marquettas was nice and Torrevieja both nice on the Spanish coast.

San Antoni (where we are now ) is cheap and friendly out of season with nice anchrages etc nearby a good base for exploring Ibiza by boat.

We left last August and this is as far as we have got.

Low season in generally 1st Oct - May and marina fees are half or less.
The not so good:

I do not know when you´ll be into the med but I´m worried that you will find all the Marinas on the south Spanish coast full, even for short stays and there are very few places to anchor between Gib and Alicanti.

La Caruna was not nice but in the same area about 30mins away was a nice marina, whos name I can´t remeber.

Good sailing.

<hr width=100% size=1>PB

sailorboyjon

Visit site
Of course if you want to avoid crowded marinas on the southern spanish coast you can always go over to Morocco. Although some patience is required with the port police in Morocco, and also vigilance with the locals and fishermen in the smaller ports there, I found my visit to the Spanish enclaves and then inland from these more secure bases, to be great fun.

<hr width=100% size=1>