A winter project

MoodySabre

Visit site
I've just been to Eastbourne to collect my winter project

dinghy4.jpg

dinghy3.jpg

Built by a Rolls Royce mechanic about 40 years ago - even the fittings are hand made. Planks held together with copper rivets.

I know nothing (yet) about wooden boats and have never sailed a dinghy - so may ask for some advice later on. It can sit in the garage for now.

Anyone know what the sails were originally from? Sails look unused. I understand the construction of this dinghy in the conservatory caused some matrimonal strife. Boats v women - nothing new there then /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif She is 8' x 4' and called Dolly Girl - can't think why a 48" beam should bring the word Dolly to mind /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

FullCircle

Visit site
I suggest you bring this to the attention of Lakesailor. He buys nuts projects and burnished them to a fine sheen.

tillergirl

Visit site
Dolly Girl. TT to Tiller Girl. You lucky S*d.

Sherlock Holmes would say that's a Curlew on the sail. Percy Blandford dsigned a number of dinghys including a 9ft Curlew. But that would have been a plywood design. Still it could be the sail from a Curlew as it looks a bit long for that boom.

This company made a lot of Percy's designs in the States. http://www.clarkcraft.com/cgi-local/shop...033207235018007

Sail needs a tad of trimming. Lot of bagginess there but I bet Gowans could do something with it. Have you got the dagger board?

Needs to get wet!

I want it. Mine you I'm too big for it.....

pyrojames

transat2013.blogspot.co.uk
Lovely. Should be quite a collection of small sailing dinghies on the forum now. How about forum gaffer dinghy section. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Mind you, I am not sure that gunter rigs are real gaffers!

Jezlyn

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Boats v women - nothing new there then. She is 8' x 4' and called Dolly Girl - can't think why a 48" beam should bring the word Dolly to mind

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that the boat or the wife? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

MoodySabre

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Boats v women - nothing new there then. She is 8' x 4' and called Dolly Girl - can't think why a 48" beam should bring the word Dolly to mind

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that the boat or the wife? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Never been that lucky! Older women of a not unduly endowed stature have been my lot /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif It's not what you've got, it's how you use it /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

MoodySabre

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Might be worth talking to the people at The Nottage Institute in Wivenhoe. They know loads about wooden boats and have classes to build one from scratech too

[/ QUOTE ]

Can I lend them mine for a restoration project? I wouldn't charge them.

davidfox

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

Mind you, I am not sure that gunter rigs are real gaffers!

[/ QUOTE ]

Mind you the spar is known as 'The gaff spar' on a gunter- so its probably a gaffer