A short weekend cruise; have you done less?

BobnLesley

Aground in Yorkshire awaiting a very high tide
Visit site
We're anchored in Lake Sylvia, Fort Lauderdale at the moment and yesterday morning a large motorboat came and anchored beside us then an hour ago, he upped anchor and went home again; I was so intrigued that I checked using the handheld GPS and have confirmed that his weekend's round-trip mileage, excluding any manouvering distance, had been 0.36 miles. Excluding boats like us, that haven't moved anywhere, was this some sort of record, or has someone out there travelled a shorter route over the weekend?

Seajet

Visit site
I know a club where groups of perfectly good seagoing yachts travel about a mile, raft up and the crews get trollied together; I suppose one might say ' why not if they're having fun ? '.

Neil

Visit site
not over here where this happened it didn't. Current prices around 37p/litre and dropping.

It's amazing how often I forget that - I often get the newsletter from boattest.com, which often features large MOBs, or motor yachts to those in that rarified circle. With a fuel capacity of 5-6,00 litres and a range of 5-600 miles at around mid revs, you wouldn't want to go very far on this side of the pond - though if you can spend 3-4 million on a boat, would you care about fuel?

jordanbasset

Visit site
Used to regularly see yachts tied upto the old Neilson pontoon in Nidri for 5 days during the week. They would then take them around 25-100 yards into Tranquil Bay at the weekend to allow for the change over of Neilson customers. Then back on the pontoon after the weekend for another 5 days. But many seemed to enjoy it and if we all liked the same things I suppose it would be a boring old world. Infact thinking about it I did do the same thing on one occasion when I was having some work done on the boat and needed mains power:)

Last edited:

TamarMike

Visit site
If I go down to the boat but don't intend actually going anywhere I'll still sometimes move off the mooring and anchor in the area just to avoid the bumps and clonks from the mooring buoy etc. when wind goes against tide.