A seat that fits on a solid transom for while dinghy is being rowed?

brownsox

Visit site
Wondered if anyone has sourced, seen or designed such a beast. Skipper loves to row, I love to be rowed. Previous dinghy was all inflatable and I sat on the centre of tubing opposite the galley slave - quite comfortable and stable.
New boat comes with new dinghy - common type with wooden transom, designed for fixing the outboard. Given that we rarely use the outboard and sitting on one side sounds wrong, and on the floor both uncomfortable and inelegant ... I think we need a seat.
Surely others must have faced this problem?
Ideas appreciated.

Tranona

Visit site
Problem with sitting on the transom is that the boat does not have buoyancy to support the weight of a person so your slave rowing the boat will not thank you for upsetting the stability of the boat and the extra drag from the submerged sponsons.
Try it by just putting a plank across the tubes just ahead of the transom. However, better to sit forward of the slave where the boat has plenty of Buoyancy and you can tell she/him when they are going to hit something.

BurnitBlue

Visit site
A tall person rowing a dinghy may not have room for the legs in a small inflatable like the Plastimo 2 meter.

I have seen a guy (probably tall) sitting on what seemed like a home made seat fastened bracket-like to the wood transom rowing forward. This was in Greece in Vlicko Bay. His passengers sat on the tubes forward, A vice-verka solution for long legs.

It is simply not possible for a long-legged owner to row a small inflatable with bent knees in the traditional way. The oars cannot clear the water on the return stroke. I know this for a fact.

Last edited: