A race in the offing.... 50p to the winner.

Koeketiene

www.sailblogs.com
It's amazing how these things get to lead a life of their own.

This is how this thread got started

[ QUOTE ]

Over on Liveaboard, 2 of the august members of this forum sort of threw a gauntlet down over who has the faster machine in a bit of weather

[/ QUOTE ]

Those two members - that would have been Morgana and Guapa

From Liveaboard

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Morgana

in perhaps 20kts of wind, we are trucking along, and can often overtake many heavier boats who are busy pushing the waves out of the way rather than going over them!...

[/ QUOTE ]

Guapa

Sounds like a challenge to me

Care to put your money where your mouth is? How about 50p?
Sails at dawn!

[/ QUOTE ]

That was it - a friendly challenge from one boat to another. Nothing more, nothing less.
No mention of living space, motoring, cooking...

All of a sudden we've got a committee boat, race rules, a course, ....
Maybe we should also have a diary secretary and a steering group to agree upon an agenda? And should we model this event on the Oxford-Cambridge Boat Race or make it a nautical version of 'It's a Knock Out'?

Neil, if you're up for it - ready when you are. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif
This WE only around Sunday (duty tomorrow).

PS: Message from the wife - She hasn't cooked a roast dinner in her life, and she isn't about to start now. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Followed by unrepeatable remarks about English cuisine /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Phoenix of Hamble

mishapsandmemories.blogspot.com
i'm only up for it, if the rules require the roast to be washed down with Duvel.... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Unlikely this weekend.... and I can absolutely promise you that the suggestions to do 80nm in a bleedin' circle are well off the agenda..... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

pyrojames

transat2013.blogspot.co.uk
That's what comes of throwing out a challenge in a public forum! You also forgot the 3rd august contributer to the original thread, was the one who started this one...

"Coo, I wouldnt have one of those Bavs if they only hold 1/2 tonne. Try my Jeanneau SUn Odyssey 35 instead. 2.1 tonnes on the plate.
There, thats better isnt it?

I have only had mine out in Force 3 or less, but I sail it upright, as it says in the instructions. Any more than 10 degrees of heel and its going slower. There seems to be some merit in the argument that I will be moored up, in the shower block and then the pub before the MAB hoves into view even. Iwill also be far more comfortable for the rest of my stay. I calculate that 85% of my cruising time is stood still either at anchor or tied to a pontoon, so that means I want to shorten the journey as much as poss, so I will put up with a bit of discomfort on passage to achieve this. "

Perhaps it should be a FC vs CdG contest!

FullCircle

Visit site
I will be in Ramsgate Week Class5 White sails, all week, and if that doesn't suit, there is always Burnham Week, Class 6 , but I am only doing the first 3 days of that. Pleased to see you out there.

I am 35ft, 32ft at the waterline, 7 tonnes. 1 tonne of booze and grub, 1 tonne of spares and spares for the spares, and tools, did I mention tools?

FullCircle

Visit site
You got a Pentax main?
S'funny, I've got a Pentex Camera... /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif