A knotty anchor problem...

mjcoon

www.mjcoon.plus.com
I have been reading the November issue of Yachting Monthly and in particular an article in the "Expert on Board" series titled "Entering Unfamiliar Harbours". Two comments in that article: "approaching a harbour on charter in a boat you're less familiar with" and "yachts where the anchor gear was not ready to be deployed" resonated with our experience on a flotilla charter this summer.

That experience is quite well summarised by this photo of a knotted anchor chain.

1698157368742.jpeg

It was taken by torchlight through a narrow hatch in the forecabin because the anchor locker lid had been glassed in, and so we did not initially realise why the anchor could not be deployed. It also took about half an hour to disentangle, the knot having been tightened by the action of the windlass.

As the charter proceeded, the windlass motor blew so many 100 amp fuses that the charter company relented and installed a brand new motor and gypsy. To do which, of course, they had to cut out the glassed-in locker lid. But then they glassed it in again!

I'm sure I have limited experience with stainless steel anchor chain, but am under the impression that it is more slippery than galvanised. Thus less likely to knot up into a persistent ball when the heap of chain overturns in the bottom of the anchor locker. So maybe if a yacht owner is going to rely on "out of sight, out of mind" ground tackle, stainless chain is the way to go?

Bouba

Visit site
Is that normal charter policy, to prevent access to the chain ?...perhaps to stop people getting tangled in it🤷‍♂️

Daydream believer

Visit site
My congratulations on both solving the problem, and using 'disentangled' instead of the hideous 'untangled'.
Perhaps you might reconsider that. Here is an extract from the all knowing google:-

The usual expression is disentangle (though unentangle is correct as well). You untangle knotted-up, twisted string. You disentangle your fingers from your lover's; you disentangle yourself from the relationship with all its ramifications, if it isn't working out. Yes, one is an English word and the other isn't.
Bearing in mind the chain was more like a string than a lover perhaps "untangle" is the correct word-- According to Google that is :rolleyes:

mjcoon

www.mjcoon.plus.com
Perhaps you might reconsider that. Here is an extract from the all knowing google:-

The usual expression is disentangle (though unentangle is correct as well). You untangle knotted-up, twisted string. You disentangle your fingers from your lover's; you disentangle yourself from the relationship with all its ramifications, if it isn't working out. Yes, one is an English word and the other isn't.
Bearing in mind the chain was more like a string than a lover perhaps "untangle" is the correct word-- According to Google that is :rolleyes:
Does Google not explain *which* is the English expression, which is what I would prefer to use?
BTW I would never use "unentangle" which strikes me as ridiculous!

johnalison

Visit site

Who is this google bloke?

Neeves

Visit site
INXS guitarist who severed finger is told his story 'doesn't add up'

I could not find a link of the detail - but he did lose the case. But it might have been a cautionary incident and the charter company were taking no chances.

The chain actually looks well used, polished in fact. I don't think stainless would have made much or any difference.

Chain commonly hockles because the locker is deep, the chain towers, the tower falls over (and now the active end of the chain is buried). Commonly you would check the chain before deployment and as the chain is being deployed. In your case it seems such action would be difficult.

Glassing the chain locker closed seems to solve one problem and introduce a number of other problems. The answer is leave access to the chain locker and give lessons on windlass usage.

its a bit like MOB, if you fall overboard - statistically you are likely to die - so stay on board. If you get you fingers near a windlass you will lose your fingers. Keep your fingers away from a windlass.

Jonathan