A " Friend " wants to buy a boat.

oldgit

Visit site
Has spotted a Fairline 29 for sale locally and has asked for my opinion(s).
Comments and suggestions welcome.
Will be mainly used in non tidal waters but with occassional jaunt beyond the lock .
Just two folks skipper and crew.
Have warned him till blue in the face about the perils of old outdrives and it will be diesel.
Prices do seem to vary wildly due to condition ?

macnorton

Visit site
If it has aq21 diesels parts are difficult to get and very expensive, well maintained outshines are fine, at least there not Mercruiser

oldgit

Visit site
If it has aq21 diesels parts are difficult to get and very expensive, well maintained outshines are fine, at least there not Mercruiser
Thanks for that esp. regards the bits for the diesels.

Engines are apparently AQAD30.
Any thoughts on these engines and assume legs would be 270 ?.
Outdrives "serviced" May last year, be happier if an invoice from a known and reliable source is available to view.

Personally would suggest that twin engines, although more work/expense , make any boat far more easy to handle in more challenging situations.

Last edited:

Time Out

Visit site
Has spotted a Fairline 29 for sale locally and has asked for my opinion(s).
Comments and suggestions welcome.
Will be mainly used in non tidal waters but with occassional jaunt beyond the lock .
Just two folks skipper and crew.
Have warned him till blue in the face about the perils of old outdrives and it will be diesel.
Prices do seem to vary wildly due to condition ?

Mirage or Targa ?

Time Out

Visit site

Well as you know a lot of these have celebrated their 40th birthday with some saying hello to their 50th !

I have a friend with a house in the river who has a Phantom 32 with ‘new’ engines. They have just celebrated their 21st! With bills to match.

Unless I was prepared to put in at least 5k a year now. I wouldn’t go there. Pennies to some but for a 20k boat it does not really make much sense. Unless it’s not a 20k boat.

It’s going to be a 1k lift out to start.

oldgit

Visit site
Well as you know a lot of these have celebrated their 40th birthday with some saying hello to their 50th !

I have a friend with a house in the river who has a Phantom 32 with ‘new’ engines. They have just celebrated their 21st! With bills to match.

Unless I was prepared to put in at least 5k a year now. I wouldn’t go there. Pennies to some but for a 20k boat it does not really make much sense. Unless it’s not a 20k boat.

It’s going to be a 1k lift out to start.
Tend to agree.................

BB1

Visit site
For river use these are better in single engine, half the cost, if you then want to make a Volvo powered one good and reliable, replace the engine with a Nanni N4.50 with the Volvo bell housing adaptor. You'll spend some money but have good reliable package.

oldgit

Visit site
Appears to now have bought an early AZIMUT 32 Sedan,twin diesel on shafts and virtually same money.
On its way back next week from Essex.

Time Out

Visit site
Appears to now have bought an early AZIMUT 32 Sedan,twin diesel on shafts and virtually same money.
On its way back next week from Essex.

Either the Fairline was way over priced or the Azimut was very early or stupidly cheap !

oldgit

Visit site
"Either the Fairline was way over priced or the Azimut was very early or stupidly cheap !"
Possibly both. :)

Fairline was up at £29K ,in marina very local to me, just checked their website and boat is now down to £24K.
Cheeky offer ? of 28K was made on the Azimut in Wales and was accepted . No idea of age but suspect similar vintage to the Fairline.

Looks a neat boat. Assume its one of these, a bit like a Princess 30DS.
Suspect the fact it was not a UK builder was the reason for the selling price ?
1710676279688.jpeg

Should be on our moorings next week. Be very interested in having a look.

Last edited:

Time Out

Visit site
"Either the Fairline was way over priced or the Azimut was very early or stupidly cheap !"
Possibly both. :)

Fairline was up at £29K ,in marina very local to me, just checked their website and boat is now down to £24K.
Cheeky offer ? of 28K was made on the Azimut in Wales and was accepted . No idea of age but suspect similar vintage to the Fairline.

Looks a neat boat. Assume its one of these, a bit like a Princess 30DS.
Suspect the fact it was not a UK builder was the reason for the selling price ?
View attachment 174049

Should be on our moorings next week. Be very interested in having a look.

Wow. Not seen one of those for years !

29k for Mirage ? I’m out of touch …