a couple of things

c_j

Visit site
Had an interesting episode returning to Poole from Ocean Village following Jubilee Day. Lost power and Port engine would only rev to 3000. Starboard engine free reving (a bit too free reving).

Limped up to Lymington and as we were all ok decided to make for Poole (home) at around 10 knots at 2500 rpm on both engines. Normally 2500 would be 20 knots but was not sure what the problem was. It seemed like fouled props but a quick look confirmed that they were ok.

Called Portland Coastguard and they were very helpfull and although we did not require assistance it was comforting that they asked we call them at 30 min intervals till we got to Poole.

Although there was no damage to be seen to props decided to lift out.
The starboard large duo prop was spinning on the shaft as the bush between the sleeve on the shaft and the prop was completely knackered. The Port Prop was well on the way.

Education to me as I considered the Port engine to be the one in trouble as it would not rev to over 3000.

It seems pulling them both back to 2500 was a good move but I could have switched the starbourd off for all the good it was doing.

A visit to Propellor revolutions at Cobbs confirmed that both larger duo props were unrepairable but as there was no damage to the blades of the propellors I was at a loss as to what may have caused such damage. Volvo looked at them and considered it to have been a rope or plastic sheeting which had tangled the prop and then let go. The amazing thing is that the props are 9 months old and show no other signs of damage except the failed bushes.

Volvo said that the design is for this to happen so as not to cause expensive sterngear damage.

I think that the bushes had been failing gradually since the day they were put on.

Any one else had this?

The other thing?

Well I just wondered if anyone else on here is going to the Princess weekend at Poole Dolphin Haven this weekend?

CJ
chris@stone.uk.com

www.stone.uk.com

longjohnsilver

Visit site
In hindsight do you now consider that you made the correct decision to leave a safe haven and try for home? I ask this because you obviously felt the need to report your problem to Portland CG which indicates a certain amount of uncertainty as to your ability to make it home ok.

This is not a criticism as only you know all the relevant facts, and we have all probably done something similar in the past.

BTW glad you made it home safely, sounds as though you were unlucky with the prop problem, sounds expensive ........... ouch!

c_j

Visit site
The situation remided me of the airline pilot who you may recall a few years back had an engine fire on an Airbus I think and unfortuanltely closed down the wrong engine. I certainly thought the starboard engine was OK. When I made the decision to go on to Poole I considered the Port engine to have a Turbo related problem and the Starboard to be fine. We made Lymington from Ocean Village OK and as we had an offshore wind, Good visablility, good forecast, I felt that contacting Portland and going on to Poole to be the best option. Portland asked if Poole was my home Port and concurred.

The thing that was really making the decision difficult was that I had a meeting planned for Newbury that evening and I was concerned that subconciously I was making decisions to accomodate that meeting.

I also new that on arrival at Poole I cound get some help getting on to berth as It had occured to me that it may be a fouled prop. I was reluctant to close down either engine completly in case it was a fuel problem which may have cut out at low revs and been unable to start

I considered that Christchurch bay and Bournemouth Bay (we went via North Channel) would provide anchorage if in difficulty awaiting a tow.

With boating I always say that you never know when you make the right decision, only when you make the wrong one.

Would I do the same again, probably but when I saw the problem and how close we were to loosing drive on both props, I must say that it could have gone wrong, if any of the conditions I considered above had been different.

The small props in the set were still driving on both but they do hardly anything at all until the boat is on the plane.

In hindsight? Done the same again.

What would you have done?

CJ
chris@stone.uk.com

www.stone.uk.com

hlb

RIP
Visit site
It's a fairly normal problem for the bushes to eventualy give up. But normaly after years of use. I think it was just a bad bush. But try telling volvo!
John. Cheaky bugger. You need to call the coast guards every day. You've only got one!!

No one can force me to come here-----------
----- I'm a Volunteer!!!

Haydn

DavidJ

home in Brum. S37 sold, was in Med Spain.
Visit site
Yep, I've had a similar thing. I take it the bush you refer to is the rubber shock absorber (hidden) between the internal spline and the prop. For me it was on our first boat, not duoprop, on the first day on holiday after towing the damn thing to Yugoslavia....I remember that day....
Sympathies to you, You did the right thing in slowing right down so the rubber didn't completely chew up.
A thought....I guess if that did happen with a duoprop you could take the large prop off and get home on the small, or is the large prop needed as a spacer
David

adrianbarker

Visit site
Glad props all sorted,we were in Cobbs a few years ago, Poole Propellors also excellent service.

-and we're going on the Princess bash, by the look of the forecast it looks a bit wet for the weekend-again !

See you there ?

Adrian

You didn't have that one the last time we saw you !

c_j

Visit site
Princess Bash and other posts

Princess bash, Yes see you there.

Regarding props I think that as the rubber bushes were failing on both props and only 9 months old they were faulty but as HLB said try telling Volvo that.

Well I did try and they said entanglement but why no prop damage other than rubber bush?

Salterns boat yard have made an extremely generous offer to renew so i think I will take them up on it.

I used spare set I already had refurbished at Prop revs so as I only had a lift and hold. I know you can do it in the water but remember I did not know for certain it was props when we lifted.

Propeller Revolutions are as reccomended by Salterns but I have found Poole props good in the past.

CJ
chris@stone.uk.com

www.stone.uk.com

hlb

RIP
Visit site
Re: Princess Bash and other posts

Easy to tell whether it's props or engine or gearbox. Stick one engine in neutral and see if it goes on the other. Then try first one. So now you know which side. Then look if prop shaft is going round. If all going round and no going forwards, then it's the props. Oh just remembered you've got outdrives. So forget the second bit!

No one can force me to come here-----------
----- I'm a Volunteer!!!

Haydn

c_j

Visit site
Re: Princess Bash and other posts

I was reluctant to take the port engine to idle because I had replaced pre fuel filters prior to trip and experioence told me that if it had been a fuel problem then it may stop completely and I was worried why the starbourd was reving freely.

The EDC controls on my boat demand that the engines are taken to idle before you disengage gear.

I feel quite guilty having apportioned blame to that port engine when in fact that was the one that got me home.

There was also some (very little) bite in the props at low speed as I found out when I came to berth so it may not have told me that much.

The major lesson in all this is that now I know that those little rubber bushes exist and it will be one more thing to add to things I know about power boating.

CJ
chris@stone.uk.com

www.stone.uk.com