A challenging 'Wot is it?'

tillergirl

Visit site
A challenging \'Wot is it?\'

From TG, this morning.

It's the bottom of the boat
It's weed and algae (not barnacles)

But wot else is it in the middle of the picture?

120-2029_IMG.jpg

tillergirl

Visit site
Re: A challenging \'Wot is it?\'

Could I, sir, without taking offence point out that you are looking a wood, glorious wood!!! Gliberfast? Gliberfast? No Sir! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

MoodySabre

Visit site

At the end of last season I was towing a carpet of that around on my bottom (well the boat's actually /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif) but it was brown not white.

Albino weed.

tillergirl

Visit site

Close enough. No just weed almost blocking it. Actually I don't think a crab could live with the suction - had a jelly fish up into the strainer once and it stopped the water flow completely - but I don't want to get into the jelly fish in the bilge story again.....

Under the weed is the skin fitting. Here is the cockpit drain just above it.

120-2028_IMG.jpg

And cleaned and ready for winter cover. Shall I take those Bilge Keels off for next season?

120-2071_IMG.jpg

Eventide26

Visit site

Perhaps its the lesser spotted Norwegian scatsywig? /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

tillergirl

Visit site

Thanks. She may not point very high to windward but she suits me and has a very comfortable motion. The draught is handy for around here.

I have this interesting dilemma with the bilge keels. To windward in a bit of a seaway there are some interesting noises as water and air get trapped and when its like monday there can be the occasional shuddering 'crump' as 7 tons of momentum goes from trough to wave. What few photos of her I have under sail in those conditions suggest a second 'bow wave' from the windward bilge keel which suggests drag to me. But as she sails better on one tack than another and the keels are not quite symmetrical, that suggests the keels are having an effect - so I ought to leave them. The idea of making the bilge keels symmetrical is an interesting proposition!

With all that boat in the water, she has stability but the downside is that performance does drop off quickly with fouling.

MoodySabre

Visit site

My wife wasn't thrilled that I bought a fin keel after a 2'9" draught Snapdragon and she would love to have bilge keels (some inate fear of running aground and falling over!) - so I won't tell her you'd like to take yours off (no dear they won't fit on our boat). Problem is that you don't know what she'd be like without them. Presumably they were put there for drying out rather than to enhance performance - who knows?

tillergirl

Visit site

Presumably you are right. The guy who had TG built lived at Leigh-on-Sea and presumably she dried out on a mooring there. She actually stands on her centre keel - 9 times out of 10! On Mersea hard she will sit with her bilge keels clear of the ground. I used to worry about walking around on her in that state but she seems fine. Originally, they were iroko and the full length of that runner you can see. I expect the extra drag was fierce.