A bit of a sense check

GabrielS

Visit site
I do not have a specific question for the great hive mind as such, but I would like to sense check my thinking below. That is not to say I am not open to any suggestions, why else would I post here. Also, if anyone knows of any of the boats below being sold, or knows something similar I should check out then I would love to hear from you.

Background:
For the past 6 years, I have been living out of a suitcase, going from contract to contract, and when not working I have lived in nice warm places. Mostly. The liveaboard lifestyle would not be a huge change for me, at least not as big as it would be for someone with a traditional 9-5 lifestyle. I know a few liveaboards, and some I have had the chance to go and stay with for a couple of days (Hi Paddy, I still owe you a couple of beers).

My industry has been completely disseminated by Covid, and I do not expect to work on any long term projects until summer next year. After I topped up my pension for this year, calculated my estimated tax bill and budgeted my living costs until next summer, I have about €27.000 left, not including my contingency fund. I recon €22.000 for boat purchase and 5.000 for upgrades and repairs is reasonable?
I have more time than money, so I can afford to wait for the right boat, or take on a boat that needs some attention over the winter. Chances are I won't get many opportunities to go sailing anyways, and as I will not be working, boat repairs would give something constructive to do while also learning more about the boat. That being said, I am not looking for a complete project though!

Area I am (mainly) looking in:
I am currently focusing my search around Scandinavia, and Denmark in particular. I have family there I could stay with if I cannot stay on the boat over winter and I also have a family member who is a mechanic (not marine) and a friend who has just started a marine service business. That could come in very handy. Plus I know a lot of sailors there and it is always good to have a network. That being said, I have similar connections in Scotland (lived there for 10 years) and Greece.

My experience and plans:
I took my Day Skipper license in 2017 and crossed Biscay that same year. Sadly I have not been able to go sailing since then, and I have never chartered a boat and so have never been in charge of one. I would need to refresh my sailing skills and get back into the groove of things. Both theory (who gives way when two sailboats are on the same tack?) and practical (I do remember how to tie a bowline though).

I imagine sailing around Scandinavia and build up my skill level and confidence and then, in a season or two, sail to Scotland. I would love to spend some time sailing around the west coast. Eventually, I would like to set sail for the Med. I do not have any burning desire to cross any big oceans, but who knows what will happen in a couple of years time.

After a couple of years I imagine one of three things would happen:

A) Be feed up with living on a sailboat, move back on land, and use the boat for sailing whenever I can.
B) Love it but want a bigger boat.
C) Love it and love the boat.

In the case of B it would be good to have a boat that does not require a lot of upgrades to meet my immediate goal and is fairly easy to sell on. It seems the HR's have a good reputation and should not be too difficult to sell, but is that a reason to spend an extra 7-10k?

These are the boats I am looking at at the moment:

Hallberg Rassy 29.

Some are out of my budget, but with a bit of luck and negotiation, I could maybe find one.
No separate heads and potential issues with teak decks.
Galley is very small and some have limited cockpit storage.

Albin Ballad.
Does not come with separate head. Some models seems to have no chain locker. Known to have issues with water leaking at the mast steep. Does not look to have a lot of standing headroom.

Scanmar 33.
Not a lot of handholds or storage, but seems to have a good layout and good sailing characteristics. At the upper limits of my budget.

Mamba 31.
Difficult to find information about this one, The FB owner group only has two members, which strangely makes me like the boat even more. Swedish built and designed by Rolf Magnusson who was also behind some of the Albins. From the numbers on sailboat data it looks similar to the Ballad. Galley runs down the port side of the boat and as I am not planning on entertaining large amounts of guests, that seems like a good use of space. Or?

I am aware they are all Scandinavia built boats. This is mainly because I have focused my search on Scandinavia, but also, as a Dane who has been away from his homeland for over 15 years, I do like the idea of a boat from my part of the world. I guess in the same way an Englishman might have a special affinity for an English built boat.

Requirements or wishes:
These are in somewhat descending order. Some of these comes from experience, some from recommendations, some from a bit of reading and some from a, probably, limited imagination. I would reconsider all of them for the right reasons.

29-33ft +-
Fin and skeg hung rudder.
Easy to single hand.
Tiller steering.
Aft cockpit.
Good storage.
Steady at anchor, I do not want to spill my beer.
185cm head room. I know I might be dreaming here.
Good layout of nav station.
Decent galley layout.
Good size fresh water and diesel tanks
Adequate number of handholds.
Separate heads compartment would be nice but is not a deal-breaker.
Chain locker. I think the Albin Ballad does not come with this? Would be nice to have.
Ability to shower once in a while. Can be a handheld showerhead.
Anchor windlass. Would be a bonus.
Holding tank. Also would be nice but again, happy to install this myself at some point in the future.

Not a massive fan of in-mast furling, or electric heads and water pumps. When I did my Day Skipper, one of the other boats had issues with both and it was not a fun time for them.

If you have made it this far, then thank you very much, and I look forward to your replies.

siwhi

Visit site
There's plenty of good quality and cheap boats for sale in Sweden:

Segelbåt säljes i hela Sverige - Blocket

They seem in general less neglected than often happens in the UK for the price.

Plan sounds good to me. Go for it. Have a look at a few boats over a week's holiday / roadtrip, then buy the best one. If it were me I would keep back more money for living expenses and boat expenses, and aim to spend £10-15 on a boat, but we all have different budgets! Also a separate aft cabin is a definite bonus if living aboard, but quite rare in the category you're looking at.

GabrielS

Visit site
This is kind of what I am struggling with a bit now, for the price of the HR29 I could buy both a Ballad and a Mamba. Or just one of them and lots of toys. Or beer! The way I see it, and I am happy to stand corrected, the big benefit of the HR is in its resale value. But is 7-10k worth that? But then again, resale value might never become an issue if I love the boat and don’t see myself upsizing at some point. At the end of the day, that is a personal choice but I’d love to get other people’s opinions.

Shanty

Visit site
Can't help with the other options, but since Shanty is an Albin Ballad, a few comments:

Albin Ballad.
Does not come with separate head. Shanty has a separate heads compartment
Some models seems to have no chain locker. Shanty has a small chain locker right in the bow.. I've modified it to a larger locker further aft
Known to have issues with water leaking at the mast steep. The early Ballads had a mast step supported by an exposed mild steel fabrication. This can rust away with rather unpleasant consequences. Later Ballads had this support encapsulated in resin
Does not look to have a lot of standing headroom. I'm 5ft 11in tall. I have standing headroom at the aft end of the saloon. My head touches the deckhead at the forward end.

Requirements or wishes:
These are in somewhat descending order. Some of these comes from experience, some from recommendations, some from a bit of reading and some from a, probably, limited imagination. I would reconsider all of them for the right reasons.

29-33ft +- YES
Fin and skeg hung rudder. YES
Easy to single hand. YES - I normally sail singlehanded
Tiller steering. YES
Aft cockpit. YES
Good storage. Reasonable
Steady at anchor, I do not want to spill my beer. Seems OK
185cm head room. I know I might be dreaming here. See above
Good layout of nav station. Shanty has an aft facing chart table. I believe there is also an alternative forward facing layout
Decent galley layout. Compact, but works OK
Good size fresh water and diesel tanks Tanks are on the small side. I've installed a second fuel tank in Shanty
Adequate number of handholds. YES
Separate heads compartment would be nice but is not a deal-breaker. YES
Chain locker. I think the Albin Ballad does not come with this? Would be nice to have. See above
Ability to shower once in a while. Can be a handheld showerhead. Not unless you rigged something in the cockpit
Anchor windlass. Would be a bonus. Not as standard. I installed one on Shanty when I moved the chain locker - Recommended, especially for singlehanding
Holding tank. Also would be nice but again, happy to install this myself at some point in the future. Not as standard, but I have seen designs for a retrofit in the heads compartment. I think it was on one of the owners association websites

Good luck with your search

scruff

Visit site
Also perhaps worth looking at Rival's 32 + 34 both comfortably in your price bracket.

One question though, if you are going to be bumming about somewhere for a year, living on a boat, perhaps think about buying somewhere warm - i.e Caribean Look to be a decent number of UK/ European flagged boats get sold off for cheap after a tradewind crossing.

Long cold Scandinavian winter in thick woollen jumpers Vs Rum punch in shorts...

Kelpie

Visit site
Hmmm maybe I should put in a plug for my own boat (Deb 33) which is now up for sale.

33ft
Fin and skeg hung rudder; bronze centreboard within the external lead keel
Easy to single hand, especially with the self tacking jib.
Tiller steering.
Aft cockpit.
Good storage- I would say very good for this size of boat.
Steady at anchor, yes she's pretty heavy and solid in the water.
185cm head room- almost, it's 180cm.
Good layout of nav station- yes, forward facing.
Decent galley layout- not bad, would be fine for one person.
Good size fresh water and diesel tanks- excellent, 450l water, 85l diesel.
Adequate number of handholds- yes.
Separate heads compartment would be nice but is not a deal-breaker- yes, proper separate heads, not a walk-through.
Chain locker- yes, plus a shallow deck-accessed locker designed to take a Danforth type anchor.
Ability to shower- nothing installed at present but the heads is big enough that you could figure something out.
Anchor windlass- yes, manual.
Holding tank- no, but plenty space to install one.

No electric heads, good old slab reefing, plus a removable inner forestay with hanked on sails, in addition to the self tacking jib on a furler.
Beaching legs and variable draft, which opens up drying harbours, canals, etc.

OK sorry for the shameless plug but I mainly wanted to point out that there are many other boats out there that you may not have considered, and you don't want to narrow things down too much. Boat design is all about compromise, and if you set yourself too many 'red lines' you might be ruling out some really good boats.
When you first start boat shopping, the choice seems huge, but we have found that when you start getting serious about what you need, where you are prepared to travel, and what your budget is, you end up with a pretty short list of boats to view.

scruff

Visit site
Hmmm maybe I should put in a plug for my own boat (Deb 33) which is now up for sale.

33ft
Tiller steering.
Aft cockpit.
Separate heads compartment would be nice but is not a deal-breaker- yes, proper separate heads, not a walk-through.
Chain locker- yes, plus a shallow deck-accessed locker designed to take a Danforth type anchor.
Ability to shower- nothing installed at present but the heads is big enough that you could figure something out.

No electric heads, good old slab reefing, plus a removable inner forestay with hanked on sails, in addition to the self tacking jib on a furler.

OK sorry for the shameless plug but I mainly wanted to point out that there are many other boats out there that you may not have considered, and you don't want to narrow things down too much. Boat design is all about compromise, and if you set yourself too many 'red lines' you might be ruling out some really good boats.
When you first start boat shopping, the choice seems huge, but we have found that when you start getting serious about what you need, where you are prepared to travel, and what your budget is, you end up with a pretty short list of boats to view.

If your Deb33 is the blue one on Facebook, she looks like a cracking deal for someone! Lovely looking boat!

Kelpie

Visit site
Yes, that's her. Thanks! She's scruffy inside but we had hopes of bluewater cruising on her and she's got quite a few upgrades with that in mind. Arrival of an extra family member prompted the decision to move up to a larger boat.

GabrielS

Visit site
Can't help with the other options, but since Shanty is an Albin Ballad, a few comments:

Good luck with your search

That is great info, thank you. I thought the Ballad had the 'walk through' heads? I have watched some of Mads's videos on Sail Life, and I was a bit worried about head height. But he is stupidly tall as well.

Also perhaps worth looking at Rival's 32 + 34 both comfortably in your price bracket.

One question though, if you are going to be bumming about somewhere for a year, living on a boat, perhaps think about buying somewhere warm - i.e Caribean Look to be a decent number of UK/ European flagged boats get sold off for cheap after a tradewind crossing.

Long cold Scandinavian winter in thick woollen jumpers Vs Rum punch in shorts...

The secret to surviving the Scandinavian winters is not just woolen jumpers, but snaps as well. And lots of it.

I have considered this, but my main reason for looking in Scandinavia at the moment is that I have network there, and it would be easy for me to step off the boat and go spend some time and friends and family. It would be more of an easing in to that lifestyle. That being said, I have a similar network and opportunities in Greece and I am also looking there.

33ft
Tiller steering.
Aft cockpit.

That certainly ticks a lot of boxes and I was not aware of the Deb33. I have absolutely no experience with center boards and how they affect sailing characteristics, how durable they are etc.? Do you have a link to your boat?

I agree regarding red lines, and as I also stated, or at least I think I did, I am happy to reconsider almost everything on that list. I see it more as a guide while my research is limited to internet searches. I have this, maybe naive notion, that you don't find the boat, the boat finds you? I think that at least lets me have an open mind as well.

doug748

Visit site
You may find a number of Albin's in your neck of the woods hence my suggestion. I do think that liveaboard accommodation becomes less forced as you get to 30ft and over.
On skegs. To a certain extent it is a continuum between the full length of the Rivals etc, the partial of the Rassy 29 and others and the small/vestigal of the Nova and the rest. If you decide that a full length article is not required, even if a spade rudder is still not for you, you choice will open up a lot.

Accommodation wise my prejudice is for three things:

A galley that is by the companionway
A chart table and galley that people can get by to the cockpit when in use.
An offset dinette/seating area in the saloon, preferably C shaped.

Not only do these things make the boat more usable but they make the thing feel bigger and be a more comfortable place to unfurl in the evening of the day. IMO of course, others will have other ideas.