!980s? Evinrude. How do you get the top shell off?

ctroutz

Just bought this 4hp twin cylinder 2 stroke for my dinghy as my current little mariner appears to have choked waterways. It's the one with the cast metal body and the sliding throttle. I just want to give it the 'once over' and have removed the plastic bottom shell but can't see how to get the metal top off. Advice appreciated.
The guy promised me it starts and pumps well......but didn't have a fuel tank or connections for me to see it running. I may have been 'suckered' but can't test it until I obtain the missing items. If anyone has the specific fuel connection I'd be grateful to hear from them. Many Thanks.

rogerthebodger

My little Yacht twin has a little lever on the right hand side at the far side while facing the pull starter.

Hope that helps.

VicS

Just bought this 4hp twin cylinder 2 stroke for my dinghy as my current little mariner appears to have choked waterways. It's the one with the cast metal body and the sliding throttle. I just want to give it the 'once over' and have removed the plastic bottom shell but can't see how to get the metal top off. Advice appreciated.
The guy promised me it starts and pumps well......but didn't have a fuel tank or connections for me to see it running. I may have been 'suckered' but can't test it until I obtain the missing items. If anyone has the specific fuel connection I'd be grateful to hear from them. Many Thanks.

From underneath ... DO NOT undo the screw in the centre of the top cover or the starter falls to bits and the spring escapes like a caged tiger, but you can lift the whole lot off intact if you work from underneath.

You dont say the year and model number but you will find exploded diagrams on the BRP parts website at shop.evinrude.com or http://www.boats.net/parts/search/BRP/EVINRUDE/parts.html

There used to be photos on Lakesailor's site but that all seems to have gone now along with loads of other useful information he made avaialble to us The Evinrude 4 Hp is one he worked on extensively.

Get genuine fuel connectors if you want to avoid trouble and beware of other makes that look the same but aren't!

Oakley Marine aka Outboards Direct are good for spares. http://www.outboards-direct.co.uk/ But quote the model number always. ( on a plate on the port side transom clamp bracket)

No internal fuel tank in yours i assume ?

One of the ones on the right of this picture I assume

scan0056.jpg

Last edited:

Sandro

My 4hp 2t had internal tank, so may be different. There are four screws from underside looking up.
Hope this helps.

Sandro

ctroutz

My 4hp 2t had internal tank, so may be different. There are four screws from underside looking up.
Hope this helps.

Sandro

Thanks R. and S. , but mine's different........Vic you're a star! Similar to the ones on the right of your pic. except this one has no gearshift so I guess it's even earlier. More fool me for not insisting that I saw it running before I picked it up. Having had a look in daylight ,it appears that there are a couple of likely looking bolts inside the top shell so I'll attack those shortly. 'Fraid your advice over the 'obvious' large screw visible on the top came just too late! I took the guy's word that it was running and pumping well so I'll carry on for now (and find the model number) but I'd be grateful if you could keep an eye out in case there's a Part 2.

VicS

Thanks R. and S. , but mine's different........Vic you're a star! Similar to the ones on the right of your pic. except this one has no gearshift so I guess it's even earlier. More fool me for not insisting that I saw it running before I picked it up. Having had a look in daylight ,it appears that there are a couple of likely looking bolts inside the top shell so I'll attack those shortly. 'Fraid your advice over the 'obvious' large screw visible on the top came just too late! I took the guy's word that it was running and pumping well so I'll carry on for now (and find the model number) but I'd be grateful if you could keep an eye out in case there's a Part 2.

4hp with no forward/ neutral selection...............That must be 1980, or older My picture comes from the 1984 brochure.

You can look up the year here http://shop.evinrude.com/media/document/ModelNumberReference.pdf

Last edited:

ctroutz

Thanks Vic. Top off OK . Serial No's pretty clear E4BRCSS and BO87492 but nothing on either of those sites to ID it fully. I'll try Oakley marine as you suggested and another company advertising old evinrude parts. Couldn't refit that top screw and it nearly ripped my throat out when I removed the lid! I suspect they're a nightmare to refit so that's something else I'll have to source. Happy days......

VicS

Thanks Vic. Top off OK . Serial No's pretty clear E4BRCSS and BO87492 but nothing on either of those sites to ID it fully. I'll try Oakley marine as you suggested and another company advertising old evinrude parts. Couldn't refit that top screw and it nearly ripped my throat out when I removed the lid! I suspect they're a nightmare to refit so that's something else I'll have to source. Happy days......

Explantion of the model numbers is on the Model numbers list site i quoted

E = Evinrude ( J= Johnson)

4 = 4hp

BR = Euro ropestart (I guess it was made in Belgium)

C = 8, S = 0. Therefore 1980

Final S is a production suffix.

No L in the number therefore a standard shaft not a long shaft

You should find some instructions for rewinding the spring and reassembling the starter in http://boatinfo.no/lib/evinrude/manuals/1971-1989johnsonevinrude.html

Make sure its got the correct Champion plugs in it QL86C or L86C gapped at 0.030"
People put NGK resistor plugs in them ( eg BR6HS-10 ) then wonder why they don't run properly.

Last edited: