50 Euro note changing?

whiteoaks7

www.seasolutions.co.uk
My Spanish teacher tells me the 50E note is changing but didn't have details. Will this be like the £50 note which is being withdrawn in May? i.e. Will all the notes under my mattress be useless when we get back to Greece in May?

Can't actually find any sensible news about this on the wonderweb btw.

macd

Visit site
Edit: Looks like we don't have to worry anytime soon :)

https://www.ecb.europa.eu/euro/banknotes/europa/html/index.en.html

Good spot:
However, the banknotes of the first series will always retain their value: they can be exchanged for an unlimited period of time at the Eurosystem NCBs.

Reminds me of the rumour a few years ago that all Greek-printed €50 notes would cease to be legal tender if Greece defaulted. It was in a roundabout way true: Greece had never printed a single €50 note.

DownWest

Visit site
My actual experience with outdated notes (in Portugal) was they can be exchanged, as long as it is done at the Bank of Portugal.
Interestingly.. I lawyer in Lisbon said that the guv had stashed all the withdrawn escudo notes in a wharehouse just outside Lisbon, in case the euro experiment went wrong. Might be dusting off the moths right now :eek:)

To add, at the time of the euro introduction, the €500 note was considered too big, so not used. I was paid by a client in such notes and when I deposited them at the bank, all the guys gathered round, as they had not seen a real one., only the defaced samples. Different days.....

On a lighter note, a friend deposited a chegue for some work he had done. Cashier looks at it and said "Wow, what do you do?. Friend reminds him he is an electrician and what is the problem? Seems the client had writen an escudo amount (24,000) in his new euro chequebook. At the change over date, one € was 200esc. So some confusion was normal.

Last edited: