406 Beakon reg. Confirmation

wingcommander

Visit site
Today Sept 2024 received confirmation letter including two small information stickers ( one to be placed on plb , the other to be "placed in a prominent position eg with ships documents " .
No urgency it was registered in March 2022..
I suppose it would have still been operating as normal , seems like an unusually long delay for confirmation

Ah well sailing is meant to be a slow pastime

lustyd

Visit site
Complete joke
What additional safety do you feel the stickers provide? Seems like exactly the right amount of urgency from people who understand their job to me. They’ve stated on many occasions the details are in the database within a day and they’ve also stated that rescue isn’t contingent upon that.
Someone in a suit decided stickers were important. That person has very likely never been to sea.

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
Today Sept 2024 received confirmation letter including two small information stickers ( one to be placed on plb , the other to be "placed in a prominent position eg with ships documents " .
I suppose it would have still been operating as normal , seems like an unusually long delay for confirmation

I did everything on line. I wonder why they sent you some stickers?

lustyd

Visit site
I did everything on line. I wonder why they sent you some stickers?
You will get your stickers eventually. I did mine online too. The stickers must be affixed to the unit and to the vessel for...reasons

rogerthebodger

Visit site
A sticker would be nice as it would confirm that you have registered your EPIRB/PLB so that anyone inspecting your boat will know

We have no such thing

wingcommander

Visit site
I also completed online 2022. It had been previously mentioned that confirmation will take a while, although your details are on the system at completion of the online form. This is one of the stickers, the other is now residing on my plb. How long for is anyone's guess

Attachments

• 20240917_162835.jpg
    20240917_162835.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 4

rogerthebodger

Visit site
I also completed online 2022. It had been previously mentioned that confirmation will take a while, although your details are on the system at completion of the online form. This is one of the stickers, the other is now residing on my plb. How long for is anyone's guess

Easy to reproduce that label as there is no unique logo on the label

Bilgediver

Visit site

Registering these devices is important and not just burocracy . The devices come from the factory with a Hex code which they transmit. When you register the device this becomes attached to you and also granny if she is your emergency contact.Some countries attach the MMSI as well.. This helps to get your call for help to the right country and right Maritime Rescue Coordination Centre as this is an international system. Ours was in Falmouth and not sure if it still is.

No matter where a UK vessel and crew are in the world Falmouth coordinate any Rescue events in which it is involved.

If you fall into the sea in the South Atlantic then Falmouth will task an A400 of the RAF out of The Falklands to find you.
If you are comfortable in your life raft then will have a chat with you on 16 while assisting to bring in ships to your location that have been diverted. If you are clinging to a sinking vessel then the boys above will advise you of the package they are about to drop. It as an array of three components which includes life raft stores and radio etc.

This whole excersize goes smoothly when registered devices are used however if the devices are unregistered then the outcome could be completely different and result in delays.

Not just burocracy Roger but part of an important process to ensure you have the best chance of being rescued promptly.

Last edited:

rogerthebodger

Visit site
Registering these devices is important and not just burocracy . The devices come from the factory with a Hex code which they transmit. When you register the device this becomes attached to you and also granny if she is your emergency contact.Some countries attach the MMSI as well.. This helps to get your call for help to the right country and right Maritime Rescue Coordination Centre as this is an international system. Ours was in Falmouth and not sure if it still is.

No matter where a UK vessel and crew are in the world Falmouth coordinate any Rescue events in which it is involved.

If you fall into the sea in the South Atlantic then Falmouth will task an A400 of the RAF out of The Falklands to find you.
If you are comfortable in your life raft then will have a chat with you on 16 while assisting to bring in ships to your location that have been diverted. If you are clinging to a sinking vessel then the boys above will advise you of the package they are about to drop. It as an array of three components which includes life raft stores and radio etc.

This whole excersize goes smoothly when registered devices are used however if the devices are unregistered then the outcome could be completely different and result in delays.

Not just burocracy Roger but part of an important process to ensure you have the best chance of being rescued promptly.

I am aware of that as I am in South Africa with a SA registered boat, so my EPIRB is registered in Cape Town where out MRCC is located.

Due to the lack of feedback when an EPRB is set off I have 2 EPIRB's in an attempt to ensure a message gets through

The burocracy is about the so-called inspection we have to endure at a cost to the pleasure sailor. The issue is that we as skipper of a boat I am personally accountable for the safety of the boat and crew even if out boat complies with the draconian requirements

Bilgediver

Visit site
The burocracy is about the so-called inspection we have to endure at a cost to the pleasure sailor. The issue is that we as skipper of a boat I am personally accountable for the safety of the boat and crew even if out boat complies with the draconian requirements

Well Roger if you are worried about feed back from the system then just make sure you have the phone number of your MRCC on speed dial.. ;)