4 Stoke Outboards

m1taylor

Visit site
Having found a Tohatsu 3.5HP a tad underpowered on my 17ft trailer sailer, and noisy, I have decided to upgrade to a 5hp as I've been told this size will be much better suited. To be able to hold a conversation under power without shouting, a four stroke seems the answer. The 5 HP 4 stroke Honda, Suzuki, and Johnson all seem to be around the same price - so is there anything to choose between them (other than silver/black or white cowlings)? Any views on these, particularly the Johnson?

<hr width=100% size=1>

Razorfish

Visit site
I've got a Suzuki 5hp 4 stroke on my 22ft fin keeler which pushes it along just fine and pretty quietly too. You will appreciate the lack of smoke and smells with a 4 stroke too. I suspect that there will be little to chose between them, go for the best deal and as the previous post says the weight if you plan on carrying it around.

<hr width=100% size=1>Fifteen men on a dead man's chest
Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum

cameronke

Visit site
Hello M1taylor

I fitted a Honda BF8 to my 22ft E-Boat. The fuel economy is spectacular! I motored round the Isle of Bute last week (approx 35 miles) at approx 5kts and used just over a gallon of petrol!!!!

I found it quite disconcerting at first when I went to cast off at the front of the boat that I could not tell if the engine was running or not as it was so quiet. Sounds from two feet like a slightly loud sewing machine.

Very impressed with the Honda though quite heavy

Regards
Cameron

<hr width=100% size=1>Work to live, live to sail

AndCur

Visit site
Hi

I have a Mariner 6hp 4 stroke which is a great engine,quiet and easy on fuel about
6/7 miles per litre and that pushing a 24ft yacht. Its worth noting that the Mariner,Mercury and Totashu are all the same engine. Also the 4/5/6hp versions are all the same engine but are just in differant states of tune.

Regards

Andrew

<hr width=100% size=1>

misterg

Visit site
>>I fitted a Honda BF8 to my 22ft E-Boat. The fuel economy is spectacular!<<

Out of curiosity, is this the std. or "high thrust" version with the bigger, fine pitch prop?

Otherwise two unsubstantiated rumors:

Aren't Johnson part of OMC - future shakey

I have heard that getting suzuki parts is a nightmare, as they come direct from Japan - e.g. 6 weeks for a replacement water impeller.

Don't put any weight on these, unless you can confirm them, but it may give you a clue as to some questions to ask.

Andy

<hr width=100% size=1>

bruce

Visit site
would consider service, and what is available local, honda keeps tight control of parts and may req only honda service, which is good if local... i have a 15 year old honda and have found parts to be expensive.

<hr width=100% size=1>

aran01

Visit site
No they were sold.

In March of 2001 the outboard assets of OMC, namely Johnson and Evinrude, were sold to Bombardier of Canada. Bombardier says it will bring the brands back to their former glory. Bombardier also manufacturers Sea Doo watercraft, Lear jets, locomotives, and recreational vehicles.

<hr width=100% size=1>

misterg

Visit site
>>It has a four blade prop, does that identify it?<<

Not sure :)

I think the newer ones (through prop exhaust) are all 4 blade. I have an older Honda 8HP which is 3 blade prop (approx 9.5 x 8.5"), and am idly wondering whether it's worth trying trying to find a fine pitch prop for, as this would be a better match to the boat and allow the engine to rev properly. (I believe 10 x 6" was available as an option for this engine. Not sure if it was 3 or 4 bladed, though).

Haven't got any desire to spend money, engine runs OK, but if I was to fall over one in the street...

Andy

<hr width=100% size=1>

surekandoo

Home:Nottinghamshire Boat: Blackwater Marina, Esse
Visit site
Hi,

I too have a 22' boat with a Suzuki 4hp 2 stroke. It's thirsty & noisy but seems to start & run well.

I'm considering upgrading to a 4-stroke next season. I have one question regarding getting the leg & prop out od the water when sailing. At the moment I can do this easily on my fixed outboard bracket by tipping the engine up, rotating through 90 degrees (otherwise if fouls the transom) and the tipping up to the horizontal and locking in position.

Is this sort of manoevre OK with a 4 stroke? I've read somewhere that the don't like being horizontal - something to do with the oil from the sump running up the bore.

Anyone know anything about this?

<hr width=100% size=1>

greatspirit

Visit site
4-stroke will be heavier & have more vibration than same output 2-stroke and have less torque; it is also more complicated; the difference in fuel consumption will hardly be noticeable; there is a risk of oil running out of the sump with a 4-stroke if horizontal; my advice would be to change to a slightly bigger 2-stroke

<hr width=100% size=1>

ChrisE

www.simpleisgood.com
Can't agree with you about fuel ecomomies, I've just rpelaced a 40 hp Yam 2 with a 50 hp Yam 4 on my fishing boat and get at least 30%possibly 50% better fuel consumption, not to mention quiet running and ease of starting. Regarding replacing with another 2 stroke, I was under the impression that 2 stroke is, or is about, to be phased out in EU on environmental grounds. Perhaps someone who know the law could advise.

<hr width=100% size=1>

ex-Gladys

Visit site
At this years LIBS, several o/b stands were showing the date after which 2strokes become illegal.... either 2007 or 2008 IIRC. We'll still be able to use old ones then, just won't be able to get new ones...

<hr width=100% size=1>Larry Botheras

Anderson 26 "Amber"