4 hp mariner o/b

Malcb

www.virgo-owners.org
From the manual:

Use a 25:1 Petrol/oil mix in the first tank of fuel.
After the break in fuel mix is used up use a 100:1 petrol/oil mix in engines used for leisure applications.

To provide additional protection for commercially used engines a 50:1 petrol oil mix is recommended.

[2068]

Visit site
The 100:1 was recommended mainly to reduce emissions.

If modern, I would stick with 50:1 - works a treat on my Merc 5hp (same powerhead).

dv.

VicS

Visit site
You dont say what year it is.

You should be able to ID the year from the serial number and then down load the Operation and Maintenance Manual from the "Download Center" at http://www.brunswickmarineemea.com/homepage/welcome

Depending upon the year you may find 50:1 is recommended or you may find as already said that 100:1 is suggested for leisure use.

I would use 50:1 even if 100:1 is permissible

crazy4557

Visit site
I don't always have the measuring beaker with me so for all my motorised 2 stroke thingy's I juct make sure the petrol in the can has a tint of the colour of the two stroke oil I have to hand and I use that, have done for many years and never had a problem ! Long as the engine chucks out a little smoke means it's got oil. Not the most scientific method but it's always worked OK for me. All the engine's have revved out OK.

VicS

Visit site
I cannot agree with crazy4557's method of guessing the amount of oil. It's crazy !

While I admit that my use of a plastic laboratory measure is a bit OTT ( I use it because that's the sort of stuff I had access to when working)

it should not be difficult to find a small container that measures the correct amount of oil for a litre, 5 litres or a gallon of gasoline.
If the engine is supposed to use 50:1 take care not to drop much below that. If running at 100:1 take great care not to drop below that!

Rabbit

Visit site
Thank you all for your help.

I have the manual, somewhere?

I have it somewhere safe?

When i find it, i will paint it on the tank.

thanks again.

kind regards,
Les.

AndreM1978

Visit site
5hp 4 stroke o/b

I am a new user to this forum thing. I have just purchased a Parsun 5hp 4 stoke outboard. I am trying to find out if you can lay them on their side for transport or will this do harm to the engine because of oil running into the head. The sticker says you are to lay it on the tiller arm but others tell me they must always stay upright

C

Chrusty1

Re: 5hp 4 stroke o/b

Upright or what the sticker says /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

VicS

Visit site
Re: 5hp 4 stroke o/b

Welcome to the forums.

Not familiar with Parsun but if the sticker says lay on the tiller side that's what you do. Other makes may be different. Some have carrying handle and you can lay them down with that uppermost. Upright is obviously always safe but difficult to find a car with a boot that will accept them upright. (clamped to the back of the passenger seat perhaps /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif)

But the owners manual should explain it all properly!

If you lay it down wrongly then yes oil can find its way up into the engine or even leak out.

BTW when you have question of your own start a new topic. Don't resurrect an old one or even worse hijack a current one.